'Free' Carvewright Raleigh Area!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have heard that about the machines before; operating a small CNC is a diffferent hobby than carving.

EDIT - to clarify (though Ken seems to get what I mean) - The post in the link is a frustrated CarveWright (little CNC pretty much for relief carving) user who is trying to give away his machine to someone who will cut a couple of projects for him. I had heard other stories of carvers who think they want one until they get it. It's a skill set that can be fun and interesting to develop, but it isn't the same skill set as carving. It's a high tech hobby.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Maybe this is a good deal for someone...

Is the machine as difficult / frustrating as the original poster makes it sound? Is this one of those systems that needs a load of (perhaps expensive) options in order to do any real work?

It does sound like a good idea for someone who is part woodworker, part artist.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

Is the machine as difficult / frustrating as the original poster makes it sound? Is this one of those systems that needs a load of (perhaps expensive) options in order to do any real work?

oh sawduster?:gar-Bi

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I sent the guy a PM. I have been looking into these for about a year thinking about if I would spend the money on it.. It's technology and that's right down my alley. Who knows. I know by the post he was trying to find someone close to NC or in NC. I am sure it is long gone by now if he is serious.

CarvedTones

Andy

The issue that I was getting at earlier is that people get into it believing exactly that and then find out it is a high tech pursuit and you spend a lot of the time getting cables/connections/drivers/apps to work, worrying about file formats and ... I have been developing software professionally for PCs as long as there have been PCs (and for a few years before that) and have no doubt that I could do that, but I don't want a high tech hobby; I want to wail on wood like a cave man. :rolf: I am okay with machines that have power, but the ones with brains I like to leave at work. :)

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
The issue that I was getting at earlier is that people get into it believing exactly that and then find out it is a high tech pursuit and you spend a lot of the time getting cables/connections/drivers/apps to work, worrying about file formats and ... I have been developing software professionally for PCs as long as there have been PCs (and for a few years before that) and have no doubt that I could do that, but I don't want a high tech hobby; I want to wail on wood like a cave man. :rolf: I am okay with machines that have power, but the ones with brains I like to leave at work. :)

I can totally understand that. I am in the IT industry as well, I guess it runs deep in my blood because I like it when I can blend the two of them, although there is a great sense of satisfaction beating on wood like a caveman.
:rotflm:

CarvedTones

Andy
I can totally understand that. I am in the IT industry as well, I guess it runs deep in my blood because I like it when I can blend the two of them, although there is a great sense of satisfaction beating on wood like a caveman.
:rotflm:

That was how I felt 20 years ago, maybe even 10. I obviously still want my web fix and work requires that I have remote desktop capability, but beyond that I don't use the computer for squat at home. The wife and kids do, so I do have to upgrade video cards and RAM for new game releases, troubleshoot network issues, etc at home from time to time. That is no hobby. :no:

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken

I've had the Sears labeled Carvewright (Compucarve'. for about 2 years and have been fortunate enough not to have had many issues.
It does need attention, it's a computer that operates a cutting/carving head. Keep it clean, do periodic maintenance etc.
IMHO most of the issues have been due to the Quick Chuck, which introduces a lot of vibration into the system, resulting in failed connections, solder joints, etc.
There is a 'new' after market chuck designed by a Carvewright member, R. Justice, that eliminates this issue.
It does relief carving, nice lettering and also will do double sided carvings.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Ken - does the Carvewright/Compucarve do anything well right out of the box ?

Not a slight, but for example I've read that those beautiful relief carvings used to promote the machine still take a significant number of person-hours to clean up. Plus whatever the user consumes creating the ready-to-cut drawing.

I sometimes think I'd like a Carvewright just for cutting inlays (much simpler than relief carving) - but I don't have hours/days of spare time to fool around on basic setup and making the tool ready to work.

-Mark

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
That was how I felt 20 years ago, maybe even 10. I obviously still want my web fix and work requires that I have remote desktop capability, but beyond that I don't use the computer for squat at home. The wife and kids do, so I do have to upgrade video cards and RAM for new game releases, troubleshoot network issues, etc at home from time to time. That is no hobby. :no:

Oh I have days like that. I have told my wife I think I only have about 15 more years of IT in me, if that.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Ken - does the Carvewright/Compucarve do anything well right out of the box ?

Not a slight, but for example I've read that those beautiful relief carvings used to promote the machine still take a significant number of person-hours to clean up. Plus whatever the user consumes creating the ready-to-cut drawing.

I sometimes think I'd like a Carvewright just for cutting inlays (much simpler than relief carving) - but I don't have hours/days of spare time to fool around on basic setup and making the tool ready to work.

-Mark
Mark, being familiar with Photoshop, Paintshop, Paint.net, Gimp is a big plus. If you know how to remove the background,make it transparent, you can easily import the graphic into the Designer software. Getting to know the settings in Designer, depth/height, etc. is a matter of doing a few test carves, and reading the helpful info on the Carvewright forum.
Cleanup isn't that bad with a Dremel and small tools, but my favorite is sanding mops. They mahe getting the fuzzys off easy.
These days typically the machines are good out of the box, except that the flexible shaft needs to be lubes. Why Carvewright can't do this is a mystery.

A little time on the Carvewright forum will be time well spent, especially the Gallery.

sawduster

New User
Robert
oh sawduster?:gar-Bi

No thanks bro :nah: , as Andy said so well , I like to be the one with the brains behind a piece of work

Kind of like a guitarist with a drum machine and an electronic " back up band " . Where is the talent in that ? Make it good with what ya got .....now that is creativity bro :icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
No thanks bro :nah: , as Andy said so well , I like to be the one with the brains behind a piece of work

Kind of like a guitarist with a drum machine and an electronic " back up band " . Where is the talent in that ? Make it good with what ya got .....now that is creativity bro :icon_thum

but but but..... you could carve your very own gumballs!:rotflm:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Bovine_Excrement.gif

View image in gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors