Fred's Sweetgum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
A few months ago, FrepP had a sweetgum felled and offered it to anyone who wanted some. ScottM got some for him and also some for me (thanks Scott). I roughed turned a couple of bowls in early March and did the finish turning a few days ago on one of them. I put 1 coat of BLO on this one and will finish it with a coat of wax. This is nothing special but wanted Fred to know that some of the gum won't end up as firewood.

sweetgum.jpg

View image in gallery

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
A few months ago, FrepP had a sweetgum felled and offered it to anyone who wanted some. ScottM got some for him and also some for me (thanks Scott). I roughed turned a couple of bowls in early March and did the finish turning a few days ago on one of them. I put 1 coat of BLO on this one and will finish it with a coat of wax. This is nothing special but wanted Fred to know that some of the gum won't end up as firewood.

nice bowl Stuart!:icon_thum all Ive turned out of that stuff was a few mushrooms.:roll: been lazy of late but will get to it one day.:gar-La;

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
It looks special to me Stuart. :) Nice classic Grecian lines, perfect thickness for my taste. And, it's Sweetgum! :)
Well done.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yep, nice looking bowl. I have carved a few spoons out of Sweetgum, I like the way it works. Real tough wood and kinda plain figured, but nice character.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice job Stuart. I am glad to see you putting it to proper use.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Good job Stuart:icon_thum How did you dry it after you rough turned it

I always dry green rough-turned bowls by placing them in a grocery bag filled with the shavings from the bowl. By cutting the pith out when making the bowl blank, I very seldom get any cracks.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I always dry green rough-turned bowls by placing them in a grocery bag filled with the shavings from the bowl. By cutting the pith out when making the bowl blank, I very seldom get any cracks.

I turned this one out of Gum and it took forever to dry out -

I thought it was dry :dontknow: It cracked and warped some but it looks ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS