Found an Axe, worth the cash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
In an undisclosed location, I found what I suspect to be a good broad hewing hatchet?

Its a right hand (flat face on left), about 12" edge.

No serious pitting.

Can't find evidence of abuse or cracking.

Lastly, if I rap the edge, it rings quite nice. I have learned about the dull thud (Thanks to Mike!)

They are asking $65 for it.

Think its worth that? I'm leery its a bit steep, but might be worth it given the condition.

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Just the head in good condition should be worth around $100. If it has the original handle in good shape you might double that. A good new replacement handle should make it in the $125 - $150 range.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
That sounds like a horrible deal. If he is out my way, send me the contact info and I will go tell him off personally... :gar-Bi

Actually, I have been nosing around for one for a while and I am trying to keep it around $50 if I can. I don't have one yet, which should tell you something. I am aiming a little low. :cool: So $65 sounds good for a nice one. I have resisted the temptation to get an older little one with minor defects (the kind you see on the wall at Friday's); those go in the 20s all the time.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Sadly, upon a second trip and closer inspection, there was a crack where the axe-eye and handle meet.

It is an old hand forged axe, but for the money as a user tool, I had to pass :-(

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS