Flush cut jig for router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_C

New User
Gary
I'm wondering if any of you guys have made a jig for steadying a router when using a flush cut bit. I'm a complete newbie at woodworking and saw an episode of Woodsmith that showed this jig and think it would work for my current problem.

My first read wood project is a set of nesting end tables. The tops are 3/4 cherry plywood with a solid strip on the edges. The plans said to make the edge strips about 1/8" taller than needed and to sand them flush to the table top after they are glued up.

Well I am at the sanding stage and it sure seems like a lot of sanding will be needed to get them flush. I recently saw the Woodsmith TV show and they showed using a router with a flush cut bit to solve this exact problem...the trick being keeping the router level while making the cut. So they made a jig to balance the router while cutting the edge strips.

My problem is that the jig looks a little more complex than building the tables themselves. I have access to a router but have never done a procedure like this....

Not sure if this all makes sense....but that's my dilemma. Any advise?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My jig for what I think you're talking about is to clamp a 2x4 on edge, flush with the top on the opposite side of the edge needing flush cut. You need a bottom bearing flush cutting bit.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
A simple trick that I have tried with success.

Just take a short piece of scrap about 3/4"-1" square and about 6" long and using double sided tape, stick it flush with the bits bearing and route away. The "stick" gives you some vertical support for the base riding on the plywood edge as you are trimming.

(If you are doing shelving, just clamp the shelves together and flush trim the outside pieces. Then flip them. reclamp and route another edge. The clamped shelving provides more support for the base of the router to ride on. And another simple idea....http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/routing/flush-trimming-router-setup/)

Wayne

Last edited:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Mark and Wayne have given you the best advice :eusa_danc

What you after is simply a wider base to keep the router from tilting. Of course, you can set a tall fence on your router table (R/T) and make it flush with the bearing. If I'm faced with a lot of anything, I'll try to rig-a-jig if I think it will actually speed up my effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors