Flooring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WadeP

New User
Wade
Needing to get a floor down ASAP in my shed. I wanted to use a sold roll linoleum but time and money is working against me. What are your thoughts on using hardboard? The shed is 12x24 and several tools will probably be on mobile bases so I can maximize storage and work area. Would hardboard be durable enough? The sub-floor is OSB.

Thanks for your input.
Wade

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
The only problem I can think of us is perhaps moisture. I would definitely put a layer of tar paper between the OSB subfloor and the hardboard. You could throw a coat or two of cheap floor poly on top to give it some durability.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I doubt hardboard would hold up very well over time, and as Mike said, moisture is a concern. The real problem with a floor is once all your stuff is in place, it is really really really hard to ever redo it. You could just add another layer of OSB if you want to save some money. With some poly on top, OSB looks great.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ditto Bas's comments re OSB; as I recall NCWW Member BobbyG has it in his shop and it looks great.

WadeP

New User
Wade
OK, OSB will fit budget and time. But one last question on this. I have enough 3/8 ply sitting around to cover the floor. Would that with the poly be a good substitute for another layer of OSB?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
OK, OSB will fit budget and time. But one last question on this. I have enough 3/8 ply sitting around to cover the floor. Would that with the poly be a good substitute for another layer of OSB?
3/8" ply is probably just as strong as 1/2" OSB, so that would work. However, putting poly on plywood may make it too slippery. OSB doesn't have that problem because of all the rough fibers. I say go with the 3/8 ply, and if you want some sort of finish on it, make a home brew wiping varnish.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I used the MinWax poly floor product over my OSB. No problems with slipping except if I get a lot of MDF dust on the floor. There is a non-skid product that sounds like it might be good over the plywood Check here.

bobby g

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
(Tempered) hardboard would be fine for crush- and impact damage resistance, but it doesn't like water too much and worst of all, it would be as slippery as heck with a bit of sawdust.

Unless you use the rough side, then the moisture resistance is even worse...

I would say OSB is the best budget choice.

-Mark

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
The first thing you notice when entering Bobby G's shop, and it's immediate, is how comfortable the floor feels. Kinda like a Berber carpet for shops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS