Floating Top Table Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
So, I finally got some decent pictures of a table I finished last year.:icon_thum It's a floating top table modeled after an article in Fine Woodworking #135. I made two of them and gave one to my brother and his wife for a wedding present. That one was Maple with a Sapele top and this one is Beech with a Walnut top. I convinced Shamrock (Mike) to sell me some of his Beech stash and got the rest of the wood from the Woodworking Source.

The woodworking was pretty straightforward with most of the work involving a leg pattern jig for the router table. The top is about 40" x 14" and the table is a little over 29" tall.

For the finish, I started with boiled linseed oil and a washcoat of dewaxed shellac. Then, I sprayed on Target EM6000 water based lacquer. I didn't fill the grain on the top and I ended up having to spray on probably more coats than I would have preferred to get a smooth finish on the top. I knocked down the shine by wet sanding followed by pumice on a felt pad, then some wax.

It was fun to build and I learned a lot building it.
Greg
DSCN0116_edited-1.JPG

DSCN0101_edited-1.JPG

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow - that's really pretty.

I like the lines and colors a lot. The beveled edge on the table top really complements the leg shape. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
Greg,

Great looking table!!! I really like the design and the combination of wood species. The finish is very nice. Great craftsmanship. I hope you don't mind if I copy your design in the future.

Great job.:icon_cheers:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Lyell

MikeCSmith

New User
Mike
Absolutely beautiful table, great job. I do plan on making the exact same table because my wife has seen pictures of this table and wants one. I might need some help on the legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors