Flat Sawn / Rift Sawn / Quarter Sawn

What Type of wood do you prefer when building furniture

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
For me the answer is "all the above", including sticks. The choice depends on the style of piece I'm making, and type of wood I'm using. If it's oak, I generally like Quarter or Rift sawn. If it's cherry or walnut, I usually like a little more pattern in the grain. And depending on where a particular piece will be in the project, I may prefer something a little more stable, like QS. For panel doors, I like QS for the rails and styles, but FS for the panels.

Can you add another line to your survey called, "it depends"? :gar-La;

Bill

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I don't think it's really a matter of preference. Different projects and/or components have different requirements.
For example, I use rift sawn for legs, QS for rails, stiles and face frames and flat sawn for panels.

So, Please don't make me pick just one! :wink_smil

Just saying'
pete

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I was a pretty consistent user of flat sawn oak for most all of my projects for my girls.

Recently (my last load of RO), Scott Smith helped me pick out rift sawn RO for the toy/blanket chest and a small table.

I must say that I really enjoy working with the nice tight straight grain of the rift sawn oak.

In some ways matching grain patterns are much more simple and I tend to reduce the amount of overall waste. (With my talents, this is saying a lot!:wsmile:)

I really cannot comment on other that RO or WO, as I have not had much experience with other woods on larger projects.

Wayne

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I had the same experience as Canuck; Scott Smith helped me select some beautiful QSRO boards, which are great to work with (so is Scott) and I have been very pleased with the end result.

Donn

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I like them all.

For stability and in some cases ray fleck, I like QS

For book-matched panels, FS can add more interesting figure

Rift sawn looks good on corner pieces and usually is easy to work with using hand tools, as there seems to be less grain direction changes.

If pushed to build something out of just one, I would probably go with the QS first, RS second and FS third.

JMTCW based on limited experience (mostly pine, oak, and walnut). I have almost no experience with maple and cherry, and less with exotics except purple heart.

Go

gator

George
Corporate Member
Like others, I use them all depending on the project and the particular look I am looking for or need.

George

Len

New User
Len
Unless the only thing you use is plywood, "All of the above" should also be a valid choice on this type of survey.

Len

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Depends partially on the species for me. With oak, I prefer rift for many of the structural parts (rails, stiles, legs) and QS for door panels, tops, etc. With other species, it depends on the look I'm going for on the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors