Fix or Replace?

Fix or Replace?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
I noticed a couple weeks back that the handle was cracked on my 4 lb. engineer's hammer (my "little sledge"). Yesterday it finally split down the length. After some drilling and work with a punch I got the rest of the handle out and went to the Ace for a new handle. I expected there to be so little difference between the price of a handle and a whole new hammer that it just wouldn't be worth it to replace the handle. The handle was ~$7 while the new hammer was ~$15. I decided to go cheaper and I got the satisfaction of repairing my old tool myself. (I've yet to test it, so I don't know how I did.)

In April, I faced a similar situation with my splitting axe which has a "plastic" handle. I couldn't find an exact replacement for the handle locally, and I was not too sure about putting a wood handle on the splitting axe where I am more prone to miss and smack the handle on the log. The ratio of buying a handle only to all new tool was about the same, but I was in a hurry to get back to work so I opted to spend the extra and get an all new tool, theorizing that I could always repair the old one later (which I haven't) and then I'd have a spare for one of the boys to use.

So, do you always repair if possible? Always replace? Is it an opportunity to upgrade? Does it depend? On what?

Newboy

George
User
I do not remember ever buying a shovel, ax, splitting maul, or hammer in my life. That is because every time someone else breaks a handle and throws the tool away, I snatch it up like a duck on a June bug, take it home, and stick a handle on it.

But I am one of those cheap guys.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Replacing handles is a skill within itself, and choosing the handle to use can be key to success. I once stumbled upon a hardware store in Statesville that had a myriad of handles for everything from shovels to ball pein hammers, but the trouble was that they appeared to be seconds. I assume the proprietor sold them to the Amish style farmers located in the northern part of the county that used mostly hand tools. But with no straight grain, these handles were sure to break with any use at all. Sometimes a bargain isn't a bargain......

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Now I know who holds the Olympic Gold Medal for Dumpster Diving in SOUTH Carolina.........:gar-Bi

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Replacing handles is a skill within itself, and choosing the handle to use can be key to success. I once stumbled upon a hardware store in Statesville that had a myriad of handles for everything from shovels to ball pein hammers, but the trouble was that they appeared to be seconds. I assume the proprietor sold them to the Amish style farmers located in the northern part of the county that used mostly hand tools. But with no straight grain, these handles were sure to break with any use at all. Sometimes a bargain isn't a bargain......

The Amish community is spread across the south west corner of Yadkin County, and Harmony & Union Grove in northern Iredell County. I would think they are knowledgeable about the differences between a good handle and a cheap one.

If you find yourself in the area, Saturdays-only, you can get 6 fresh Amish donuts for $3.50. The store opens at 9am , though I do nto think they make donuts all day. From US 421 N, take the Windsor exit (first exit north of I-77 intersection). At end of exit ramp, turn right. You will go about 4.5 miles, just past Buck Shoals VFD on your left, then you come to Shiloh Church on your left. Turn left past the church, and you will see the Amish store on your left behind the church. Getting there from Iredell is a bit of back road driving from Hwy 901 off I-77 (or off Hwy 21 if you are coming from Turnersburg/Harmony).

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
As the former co-owner of a rural hardware store I can say we carried a large selection of replacement handles both long and short and wood and fiberglass (plastic). Although we had a varied assortment of handles, it was often a chore to find the correct handle to match our customer' tools. We found many customers would rather buy a new tool than take the time to locate and install a replacement handle. I suppose it depends on which is more valuable to an individual: time or money.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
I watched Elia Bizzari shape a handle for one of Peter Follansbee's froes in about ten minutes. Of course he knows his way around a shavehorse and draw knife and could probably do it in his sleep.

Edit: I meant an adze handle. I guess I don't know my adze from a froe in the ground

Last edited:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Although I may buy a replacement, inevitably when I find (or fabricate) the right repair part, I end up fixing it, especially hand tools. I figure if I used it enough to wear out part of it, then its worth keeping around. I don't apply this philosophy to cheaply made items made of poor materials, though. I have several old hammers, saws and chisels that have replacement handles. I now usually look for some good straight-grained wood and make them, shaping with a draw knife. That way I get a handle that fits my hand better than most of the store-boughts, which are "one-style fits all.

One of the big problems with buying replacement handles (and new wood-handled tools) is finding ones with the correct grain orientation. Even the straight-grained ones frequently have the orientation at 45 or 90 degrees to the optimum direction for the tools use, particularly hammer, maul and axe handles.

So, I marked "it depends", but also fit in the "always fix it" category most of the time.

Go

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
A froe has a lot more leeway than something like and axe or a hammer with an double taper eye. Unless you do it often it is the sort of job that takes time to keep an eye on where things are. Not hard to do, but can't be rushed.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
FACT: Most new tools that require wood handles ARE made in china. Most older tools that require wood handles WERE made in the USA. I think I made my case - need I say more? I don't think I do.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
I have some hickory and ash that I use to always replace any broken handles with. I am another one who hasn't bought any new tools. Just look around and tool heads are everywhere.
Tony

jerrye

New User
Jerry
More than 25 years ago, I replaced the wooden handle in my maul with a welded-in section of 1" fluid line tubing, which I covered with a length of single wire hydraulic hose. No slip grip and don't worry about it if I miss.

Haven't had to replace it since.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
More than 25 years ago, I replaced the wooden handle in my maul with a welded-in section of 1" fluid line tubing, which I covered with a length of single wire hydraulic hose. No slip grip and don't worry about it if I miss.

That is a great idea right there

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User

If you had welded it to the SIDE of the head, you have used it to drive ground rods. Slip handle over ground rod and let gravity do what it does best, pull things toward the center of the earth.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
If you had welded it to the SIDE of the head, you have used it to drive ground rods. Slip handle over ground rod and let gravity do what it does best, pull things toward the center of the earth.

Since I only intended to use it for splitting wood, I welded it into the eye. That was easier and probably more secure than trying to butt weld it to the cheek of the maul. I suppose if I wanted to use it as you suggest, I could weld a plug into the end of the tubing or a cap over the opening. Not a bad idea Bruce.

gritz

New User
Robert
When I was a young man, I bought handle-less old (Made in USA) tools in junque shops and replaced the handles.
One of my favorite hammers is a Plumb with a hickory handle I put in it almost 50 years ago.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think I had a plumb just like that, since then it's had 4 handles and a second head so I can't really be sure which brand it is.
Still works like a champ.

gritz

New User
Robert
That's me (center-right) yesterday on the Ocoee celebrating turning 70. I can still swing anything I ever could.
mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS