First Turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricS

Eric
Senior User
I finally chucked up a piece of cedar(it is the only piece of wood I have that isn't 4/4)and turned on my "new" old lathe for the first time.They should call it doing crack instead of turning!Now I know why everyone calls it the slippery slope. Is there a 1-800 number in case this starts to interfere with my life? I hade no idea what I was going to make when iI started but this is what I ended up with.
first_turning.jpg

View image in gallery
EricS

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Eric thats a fine looking piece:icon_thum.Yep sit down buckle up and hold on Carowinds ain't got nothin on turn-n:rotflm:.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Nice piece! It never went as planned for me either, just kind of winged it. It's been a long time since I turned though. Man do I need a lathe

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Outstanding for a first turning:thumbs_up
What is the size?
The picture is a little deceiving, It is about 5" tall with approx 3.5" diameter
I was a little intimidated by the spinning piece of wood. I did meke my chisel jump and dig in a few times. Shoot I'm not even sure if I was using the right tool for the job:eusa_thin.
EricS

gdc

New User
gilbert
Nice work. Its habitual. The withdrawls of running out of material is the worst. Good luck with that but we are here for you

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That is Beautiful~! Love the Cedar and Design. Must have smelled really good for sure~!

I think I might try something like that.

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Wow - that's your first turned piece? Terrific job.

Cathy, This is my first turned piece ever. Thanks everyone for the compliments. I've watched alot of videos on youtube before I used the lathe for the first time so I did have some idea on how to approach it.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Looks good to me :icon_thum I am a newbie also and I really like turning cedar. Have to be careful sanding though , it is really easy to heat it up and crack the thin parts :BangHead:

Nice job ! :eusa_clap

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Very nice work! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up Like Gary, my first turned piece was a stick with bumps on it. :gar-La;

As for an 800 number, I'd call 1-800-228-0000 (See ad on right side of the page). --->

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors