Cathy
Pictures of my first turned bowl.
Firstturnedbowl.jpg

Firstturnedbowl-topview.jpg

Firstturnedbowl.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that looks great. Much better than my first. I love your wood choice. Turning spalted ambrosia maple is like opening a present, you never know what's inside. Great job, keep it up you have talent.
Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
It was interesting. I took a class with 5 other people, all using the "same" wood and the finished products showed how varied this wood can be.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I agree with Dave, a very fine first bowl. I was not brave enough to start on bowls, but I didn't have the advantage of an instructor. I started with coasters, then progressed to small bowls. You would not believe how many coasters we have around here.....:p :lol:

A very nice bowl. Now keep it safely tucked away and a year from now pull it out and compare it to the work you are doing then. You will be amazed at how things will have changed. Sign and date it on the bottom. It's an heirloom.:icon_thum

Monty

New User
Monty
Nice job! You're moving along quickly on the lathe... next thing you know you'll be cranking out great bowls just like you do with the trivets! :icon_thum

sapwood

New User
Roger
Cathy that looks great. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

You are an accomplished woodworker.

Sapwood

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Very nice Cathy! You're in the lead out of the gate. The spalted maple is really nice. Since it's your first bowl, did you use a screwdriver like Mike?

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
good work cathy, how big is it? its as addictive as pens isn't it?

phillip

ah, i see the dimensions now. that's a good size bowl for chips and such, can't wait to see the next one.

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
It's about 5 1/2" wide, 3" tall - about 2 1/4" deep. It's much more addictive than pens. I made a smaller bowl yesterday but haven't been able to get a good picture. We've already cut some blanks for several more. My artificial hip is not happy about the whole process. I need to learn more so I can be more relaxed when I turn.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow Cathy, that turned out really nice.:eusa_clap Definitely a keeper.:icon_thum What are you going to use as a finish on it?

D L

cskipper

Cathy
I haven't really decided yet. It has a lot of checks in it, so it is decorative only. Suggestions?

Last edited:

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
cskipper said:
It was interesting. I took a class with 5 other people, all using the "same" wood and the finished products showed how varied this wood can be.

Cathey where did you take a class? I would like to take some classes so I can atleast make something worth keeping, lol.

cskipper

Cathy
I took my class at Woodcraft in Greenville, SC. All the WC's have classes. The turning ones, at least in the Greenville SC area fill up really quickly and you usually have to sign up several months ahead of time. For both, the basic pen turning and this class I took there, I was lucky. Someone canceled the day before the class and right before I called to check for openings!

JRD

New User
Jim
Cathy,

An excellent start! I'd been wondering how long it would be before you gave in to the "Dark Side" of woodworking.

Anyone looking for a beginners class, NCSU's Craft Center also offers classes. They too fill up quickly so plan ahead.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors