First thru dovetails

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Here's my first attempt at thru dovetails with my new Leigh 1600. It is an awesome jig, the instructions are very clear, and it is very easy to set up and tweak the fit. These are the results of my first practice run, I didn't even need the extra pin board. Not being one to waste wood or effort, I threw a bottom in the box set in a rabbet, and a few coats of amber shellac on it. I'll give it to my daughter to bang around. I highly recommend this jig to anyone in the market, if I can get results like this on the first try then it's definately idiot proof.

The jig for the "no picture" skeptics
FirstDovetails001.jpg

And then the results:
FirstDovetails004.jpg

FirstDovetails003.jpg

Next it on to it's storage/riser box. I have the Red Oak planned and jointed ready for glue up and dovetailing. Stay tuned. Thanks for looking, Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Very nice!!! I like your layout of the pins. That jig really looks like the perfect size for most projects.

ZMan

New User
Bob
Excellent - especially for the first run out of the setup. That's going to come in very handy. I had heard that was a good jig. this is the first report I trust to be true. Thanks. Its now on my wish list for sure. Come-onnnnn Santa Claus!!!!
I've been good, I reallly reallllly have.....

windknot

Scott
Senior User
Great job for first run...I have been given the at home go ahead to buy my choice of DT jigs. The D1600 is real high. Other than 24" wide and ability to do a little thicker stock, what does the D4 do that the D1600 won't? Was everything included to do all types of DT in the 1600 package? What kind of router are you using. I am going to also buy a dedicated router so any suggestions would be great. Congrats again on the new toy.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Looking good Dave.:icon_thum I can't wait to see the storage and lift box you make for it. It doesn't seem like it took you that long to have that jig up and running. Will it do half blind DTs also?

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Windknot & D L, the jig came with everything to both thru and half blind/rabbetted DTs plus slidng DTs also. As far as I know it will do all that the D4 will do, but on a little less wide scale 16" vs 24". I am not positive on the thickness abilties of each but who really needs it to do more than 1" or so. I used a DW 618 router, but could have just done fine with my PC 690, but I like the soft start of the DW 618, in addition to the clear subbase that accepts the guidebushing. PC's is not clear. I do highly recommend this jig. I have a PC 1/2 blind jig, and this one is easier to set up and tweak than anything I've used.

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave, your D1600 sounds like a pretty versatile jig. How many different bits come with the kit and are they 1/4 or 1/2" shank?

D L

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I just checked Rockler and the 1600 is $299. or $399. with the kit. If you join their VIP mailing list you get free shipping. Do you have to use their bits with the Leigh Jigs?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The kit I got comes with three bits, a straight shank for the pins, a large 8 deg. dovetail bit for the thru tails, and a smaller DT bit for the half blind. The bits are neither 1/4 or 1/2" shank, I would guess they are 3/8" shank, but it does have an adaptor that allows their use in a 1/2" collet. I would guess that you would have to use the Leigh bits, they look different than my other dovetail bits, but I am sure some company has copied the design and probably sells them cheaper. I will find out when I wear these out. Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Several companies sell longer bits made for the Leigh jigs. For example, MLCS has this 11 piece set for $59.95.
setleigh.jpg

It includes both 1/4" and 1/2" shank bits -- you can buy any of these bits individually. See their dovetail sets at http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/setdove.htm
BTW, they are less expensive than Rockler and make good quality router bits.

Rob
windknot said:
I just checked Rockler and the 1600 is $299. or $399. with the kit. If you join their VIP mailing list you get free shipping. Do you have to use their bits with the Leigh Jigs?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rob, thanks for the info. That is good to know. I won't wear out my original bits any time soon, but I'm cheap, and when I do I will want the best deal around. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS