First Stoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonehunter

New User
Jeff
I finally got around to turning my first bottle stoppers from the group buy. I used some scrap Corian, glued 2 blanks up with 2 part epoxy.

The first one turned just fine. Rough sanded and then finished with micro mesh.

While I was turning the second one I had a ketch and it blew apart at one of the seems. To say I was upset would be putting it mildly.

I picked up the loose piece and looked at it and other than a little epoxy it was perfect.

Darn,the epoxy was in the house!

I turned around and there on my bench was a bottle of medium CA glue. I thought it will never hold, but I what the heck! I knocked the epoxy off the 2 pieces and slapped some CA glue on it and held it in place. After prying my stuck fingers off the Corian I finished turning it with no problems! I guess I can just use CA for glue ups from now on.

The second one is not as good of a finish as the first one but no one will notice but me.

Jeff

Bottle_stopper_001.jpg

Bottle_stopper_003.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Jeff, those look cool bro - I was wondering what happened to your stoppers - I have got to call this guys up the street soon to see if he has any scrap Corion - I like turning it - I had the same problen with one of my Epoxy glue ups - The only concern that I would have with the CA is - someone told me it would not hold up well if they would put the wine bottle w/the stopper - the CA would not hold up well in the cold - IDNK:dontknow:

sawduster

New User
Robert
I have also heard that CA will not handle cold well but I think it is the changing from room temp to cold and back again and again that is the issue . From what I've read it's not a huge deal though
.....I really can't say with any authority :dontknow:

Nice stoppers bro :icon_thum I like turning corian , but that dust makes me nervous :wconfused:

Did you wet sand with the MM ?

lonehunter

New User
Jeff
Thanks for the kind words.

I did not wet sand with Micro Mesh. I may try that next time.

I have only turned Corian a few times,but I'm really impressed with how it buffs up and holds a shine.

Yes the dust does suck!

Jeff

Ruth Niles

New User
Ruth
Jeff, those a beautiful. May I put one of the pictures on my website? Maybe you better check it out to see if you want your stoppers there! www.torne-lignum.com and go to the stopper designs page, I think you'll be in good company.

This offer goes to every one else who are using my stoppers, too. Take a picture of the stoppers in a bottle, I really don't need to show my stopper base, that page is for your (and other artists) artistic designs.........that is if you don't mind others copying.

As to the CA dilema, it will break down in time with temp changes and humidity. This could be a matter of weeks or a year, depending on a lot of factors. The stopper with come loose but anyone can glue it back in, they can use reg. wood glue, which they all should have. There's only a millimeter of space inside the wood and the dried glue is filling that space so the stopper is embedded.......so to speak.

Ruth

Ruth Niles

New User
Ruth
Ok. I have the picture and will try to get it on my site over the weekend. Would you like your last name or just Jeff from Smithfield?

There have been a few artists who have gotten inquiries about buying their stoppers so you might want to put some contact info if you plan on getting rich and famous!

Ruth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS