First Segmented Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I saw this on penturners.org and had to try it.;-) It's a cigar pen made from cherry, curly maple, and wenge. I am anxious for the cherry to darken up some, but am pretty happy with this attempt. I learned a lot!

You would be suprised out of the few people who have seen it, how many times I've been asked what kind of wood it is...as if it came from one source :lol:

Segmented_Pen_004s.jpg

Segmented_Pen_006s.jpg

Segmented_Pen_001s.jpg

Chris

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
That looks great! :icon_thum How hard was it to make? What size lathe do you have? Keep perfecting your craft, and I look forward to seeing more pens.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I like it!

The lack of uniformity on the bands does give it a unique appearance. :icon_thum

Roger

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Chris
At what angle did you cut your segments? I really like the look. Great job.:eusa_danc :icon_thum Nick

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome!!!!! I really like segmented pens, they're just really cool looking.

Great job!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
No, I didn't make them today...just finally got around to taking pix and posting them :) Both were really fun to make.

5x5-- I only have the small jet mini-lathe. I picked it up from Woodcraft for my birthday, when they had their big sale this summer. I had only made pens on it until this weekend, when I made a mallet. The mallet really maxed out the lathe, especially at first when I had a ton of weight in wood on it. As the wood shaved off it got a lot easier.

The pen was not hard to make...it just took a lot of time and patience...especially because I had to glue up the blank in stages. There is a tutorial on penturners.org, which includes several additional segmented pens. The most important part was setting up the stop block and zero clearance fence on the miter saw. This kept the cutoffs from flying in my eye :)

BTW, the one suggestion that I have, fwiw is for the starting blank. I'll post this in the tips/tricks section...
When creating a checkerboard blank for a segmented pen, it is important to drill the hole for the brass tubes exactly in the middle. I use a brad-tip bit to drill the hole, so, before gluing four pieces of wood together to make the checkerboard blank, I use a block plane to shave off a very very tiny splinter of wood on the one corner of all four pieces of wood that will be at the center of the blank. This gives the brad tip a channel to guide it straight down the center of the blank without wandering.

The other important part for making this particular pen was to make sure that the wenge was cut at an angle to the hole drilled in it. Otherwise, it will not slide on the brass tube at an angle to match the maple/cherry.

Cheers
Chris

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Chris
At what angle did you cut your segments? I really like the look. Great job.:eusa_danc :icon_thum Nick

Thanks! They were cut at 11-12 degrees. The segments do line up straight, although it may not look so in the pictures.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS