First Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Well, I brave the 18 degree temp, 10+ inches of snow and rode my ATV out to the shop to turn my first pen. Does any body have a kit removal tool? :gar-Bi

The instructions did not say how far to press the transmission in, but I know now!

So I turned a second set of blanks and made my second pen, I thought I would post my photos.
IMG_3854.JPG

View image in gallery

IMG_38551.JPG

View image in gallery

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Nice job on the pen! What is the wood. Looks like red cedar???

It is called South American Kingwood, I bought the blanks when I ordered the kits. I want to turn some pens from wood that I cut off my property here so it will have a little more meaning to it.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Very Nice Ken,

And wow you went with Kingwood on you first pens. :elvis: That is brave, but you obviously did an awesome job, :notworthy: sure doesn't look like your first time~!:no:

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Very Nice Ken,

And wow you went with Kingwood on you first pens. :elvis: That is brave, but you obviously did an awesome job, :notworthy: sure doesn't look like your first time~!:no:

I don't know one wood from another, I just like the look and the price. I have some burl wood blanks that I am saving until I get better, nicer pin kits also.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nice job on the pen, especially a first one. I carried my first until I lost it, finally loml found it - in the driveway with a few tires marks on it and some imbedded gravel. I am amazed that the transmission et al is still working. A little new wood and I'll be carrying it again. As soon as I can stand to get in the freezer again. I mean the shop.
The HF punch kits are an awesome deal, imo. You can disassemble almost any pen kit and lots of other things with them. It is a finesse activity. If you force things or use a bigger hammer like I normally do - find a calm day and piddle with it. I've taken many kits apart with no damage.
The disassembly tools I've seen cost more as a rule than the set I bought at HF, <$5 on sale with a coupon. Not a bad price by my standards.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ken, I like it! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm going to be getting one of those pen disassembly kits too. Haven't messed up putting one together yet, but I bet I've read the directions 5 times before putting one together. :swoon:

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
I should add, that my first pen could not have been accomplished without the help of this site. I picked up my lathe months ago, just because it was a good deal, I had not been doing any wood working, then one of my customers had a box full of turned pens and I told him about the lathe I had just acquired, he gave me a handful of wood blanks and that was it. I had no idea about pen kits, mandrels, etc.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Ken, I like it! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm going to be getting one of those pen disassembly kits too. Haven't messed up putting one together yet, but I bet I've read the directions 5 times before putting one together. :swoon:
I am ordering one also, I read my instructions many times also, however it just said "be careful not to insert to far" I had no idea how far to far was.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Good job bro :icon_thum
Another vote for the HF punch set :eusa_clap I've salvaged quite a few oopsies with it. Be prepared to possibly trash the tranny getting it out ( happens to me as many times as not ) but at least you can save it. I "sneak up" on the tranny depth, stopping short of the line, putting in the refill and adjusting a bit at a time

GeorgeL

New User
George
Thanks, I wonder how that works? Especially without messing up something. My pen kit said to order this http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKDISPEN.html but your kit looks better and cheaper.

Ken,

I'm not a pen turner but I have disassembled MANY a pen using the HF punch set.

To remove the transmission you must first remove the nib. To do this you must find the punch that fits through the hole in the trans but will not fit through the nib. When you find the right punch you will find it fits tight in the transmission but it can be pushed through. Pass the small punch through the transmission until it bottoms out in the nib. Then grasp the pen blank firmly and tap the punch with a small hammer until the nib pops out. Try to direct the nib into a cloth or container to prevent damage. I usually grip the blank AND the nib and they come apart in my hand.

Now with the nib removed find the punch that just fits the inside of the brass tube. Insert this punch from the nib end until it contacts the transmission. Be sure the punch just fits into the brass tube so the punch will contact the brass of the transmission. If the punch is just a hair too small it will contact the plastic of the transmission and you will destroy it with the first blow of the hammer. Again using a small hammer tap the transmission all the way out. Don't attempt to save time and only tap the transmission partially out. You'll end up doing it all over again. DAMHIKT :eusa_doh:

Re-press the nib and this time press the transmission in a little at a time, stopping each time to try the refill. DON'T try to press the transmission with the refill in place! Again, DAMHIKT! :BangHead:
You are looking for about 1/32" - 1/16" of reveal after the taper of the refill point.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go down to the basement to disassemble a Jr Statesman. :wmad:

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS