First Disappointment In

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
The Hardwood Store of NC. Probably partially my fault. I received a commission for a custom teak end table. I checked the website and called to make sure they had 8/4 and 4/4 teak in stock before I took a two hour drive round trip. I had figured what I needed and added some for slop. I got there and picked out my stock plus appropriate slop. Went to check out and it was $14bdft. Website had $12.75bdft which is what I figured on when I filled my pocket with cash before I left. Went back and refigured the boards I had and tried to see where I could get one more piece out of this or that board. One wrong cut and I will have to go back. Still ended up over $200 when I had figured on $170 or so. Guess I learned that when I call to check stock I should also check price and not trust the website.

George

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
George, you hit the nail right on the head. Everytime I price a job nowdays, I have to check every price. The rising and unsteady costs of fuel affect everything. Someone had to bring the wood to the store and they charged more for gas. I never trust websites for anything other than a price range and info. on if they carry what I'm looking for. Updating websites takes time and expensive knowledge, so often they aren't updated as often as they should. The old fashion phone call to a human being is still the most reliable way. Sorry, you had a bad time, but you still got wood and someone is paying you to work with it, so it can't be all bad. Show us what you make, when it's done. Dave:)

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
That's one of my biggest pet peeves. As Dave said, it does take time and $$ to keep a website current, but if a retailer can't do it then they shouldn't put pricing on the web, they should put the dreaded "call for pricing".

Even a few years ago I would have cut a business a little more slack (I griped then too), but as long as most complanies have done business on the web by now, they should know better and I think they should have honored the price.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Just a suggestion. I've corresponded with the Hardwood store several time over email, I find they are very quick to respond. I believe they have a guy that answers email first thing in the morning, then several times throughout the day. So if you can get an email off in the evening, you're pretty sure to get an answer when they open. I find it a bit easier to send off an email than call....

- clay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS