First Cutting Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
When I got into woodworking a few years ago I jumped in and skipped many of the skill building exercises and 'standard' projects ... like cutting boards. I've probably suffered for skipping those foundation building projects, but I'm making up for them around the holidays!

These are the beginnings of what will be Christmas presents. Made from scraps around the shop, I'm in the 'sanding' stage right now!

P1020861.JPG

View image in gallery

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Very nice work on the end grains. Our local meetup group are working on CBs as a way to introduce us to some basics. Great project. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Looks good. Cutting boards are great Christmas presents. Pretty simple for us and the recipients this they're the best thing since sliced bread.

If you give those out I bet several folks will refuse to use them because "they look too pretty".

Chuck

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Nice job Jeremy, :icon_thum dude you have been busy with all of these first - have you recruited some of DaveO's shop elves

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Nice job Jeremy, :icon_thum dude you have been busy with all of these first - have you recruited some of DaveO's shop elves

I don't think he recruited some of them, I think he took all of DaveO's elves!

Nice work! I need to swing by and check'em out!:thumbs_up

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice work Jeremy! I've been wanting to try some of those too. I bet sanding all of that endgrain is fun. :swoon:

bwat

New User
Bill
I understand Jeremy! The rountuit list never ends and the holidays are swiftly approaching!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Nice boards Jeremy! I see walnut, maple, cherry, what else did you put in there?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am glad you posted these. I was thinking I needed to get rid of some wood, and this is a good way to do it in a useful way.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice job Jeremy!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

And ...they are fun to build and will be appreciated by all that receive them, I am sure.:wsmile:

Wayne

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Nice boards Jeremy! I see walnut, maple, cherry, what else did you put in there?

All scraps from around the shop ... the woods used are red oak, maple, sapele, and walnut. Not even sure who these will go to yet ... but I ended up with 4 (as you can see) with the scrap pieces are started with. I might make a few more if time allows.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
They look great!

What glue did you go with?

As Bob said, the Hillsorough Orange Woodworkers Meetup is in the process of making cutting boards. This is some timely inspiration!

Jim

DavidF

New User
David
Nice job! these are a good step towards building basic skills, the stock prep is harder than it looks for a cutting board and needs to be done right for it to look right, again, nice work. What finish are you intending to use?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The glue used was Titebond II (because that's what I had on hand) and the finish will likely be Mineral Oil topped w/ bees wax (?)

JohnW

New User
John
Jeremy,

I recommend applying mineral oil only...no wax. Put a very generous amount on top, not on the bottom. Keep applying generous amounts of oil until you see it start to seap out of the bottom. That's when you know it's penetrated all the way through. This should take 10-20 min. Now wipe off and let them set for a few days. They re-apply oil but this time to both sides. Apply until it will not hold any more. If you have time, re-apply again in about 1 month.

Over the next year, tell you gift recipients to apply mineral oil every so often....typically about 1/month for a few months and then 2 times a year will probably be enough for regular home kitchen use. The oil sets up in the pours and eventually, over time, it can actually be washed and soaked in water without water penetrating the pours. Soaking in water is not recommended, but a properly oiled end grain board can handle the abuse and is very functional.

Consider including O&M instructions as well as a bottle of oil wiht the gift.

BTW - Nice work for a beginner boarder :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS