First cigar pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I got my lathe all set up today, and made my first cigar pen. The stock
is from Cad's down oak tree. I'm pretty happy with it. It's a CA finished pen.
Looking for critique here. Good/bad/indifferent.

oak-burl-2.jpg

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
That is a great looking pen Clay.:icon_thum I am glad to see you got your lathe back up and running after the big move. I know you must have been going into withdraws without being able to work in the shop. How do you go about putting a CA finish on your pens?

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like it!!! The black hardware sets off the color in the Oak. The wood is beautiful and finish looks good from the pics. If it is as nice as the one you gave me then I am sure it will be a joy to write with. How did the Oak turn and were the pores a problem with finishing??
Glad to see you are settled in and spinning again

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
The oak turned pretty well. I used a light touch, and I kept using some CA glue along the way to help it from chipping out, and to stablize it. Not sure if it would have, but I did just to be sure. I thought the pattern was so nice, I was sorta sweating chipping out a huge chunk, and just didn't want to risk it. So, I would turn a bit, and then cover with some thin ca.

**** Question for all ****
Is this turn a little, then cover with CA an effective means of preventing some chip out for pens? It seemed to work here, looking for opinions.

Dave----
As far as the porest in the oak, well.. the ca filled them in nicely. so it was pretty smooth. I noticed that I could and should have buffed it a bit more before putting it together. But, I am pretty proud of this pen.

DL -- Finishing with CA, I'll post a separate thread.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Good looking pen, Clay, the fit is real good. Better than my first CA finished pen.
You asked for a critique, so here goes. It's hard to really critique from a pic, but the finish appears a little rough. What was your sanding scheme?
I generally sand to 400. I sand with the lathe running slow, stop the lathe and sand the blanks lengthwise to remove any circular sanding marks. After sanding with paper to 400 I start with 1500 Micromesh and go through each MM grit through 12,000, sanding lengthwise between each grit.
A final finish of Renaissance Wax gives a nice sheen with protection, although the CA finish is tough on it's on.
Again, the pic may not be reflecting the real finish of the pen.
That is some beautiful wood.
Ken

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
You nailed it Ken, the finish is a little rough. It is the ca coat itself that is a little rough. I should have levelled it just a little more. before going in with the MM.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
clowman said:
You nailed it Ken, the finish is a little rough. It is the ca coat itself that is a little rough. I should have levelled it just a little more. before going in with the MM.

It's still a fine looking pen, Clay. I won't admit how many I have disassembled and refinished.
This is one of the handiest tools I have used for sanding pens and spindles. I have some wrist and elbow soreness after sanding and this sander solves that. A different grit on each wheel and the sanding is over quickly. It is usually available at Sears for around $25:

00911633000-190.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
Good job. You've done better with the finish than I could. I've tried the it but haven't succeeded to my satisfaction yet. Like Ken, I've taken several (cough cough) to refinish them. The wood is beautiful. What kind of kit is it?

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Thats a nice pen clay. I would also be curious to know about the CA trick. It would make sense though. CA give corn cobs the ability to be made into a pen. So it sounds like a great idea to me. Heck I could have used it on a project or two where I had a blow out.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Clay, sorry I havent reported in here and congratulated you. That wood did turn out beautiful. Glad I have lots of it, I have turned 2 bowls from it now and am thrilled to pieces I landed this tree.

It is very elegant, to say the least, and I want one. My office will soon be in my study in my home, and that would look damn fine on my oak desk. Put me on the list to get one of these from you.

If you are willing, I will be glad to have you over at my house one weekend and I can teach you how to do things with a skew that will eliminate your chipping, and cut your sanding time down at least 2/3'ds.

Again, that is an awesome pen, you should have no prob selling these.

cad

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Cathy, that is black chrome.
Travis, they have laser pointer kits you can purchase.

Thanks all for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors