First Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Hey everyone. I've been turning pens for about a year and a half, off and on. This is my first bowl made from a piece of cedar I had in the firewood pile. Any pointers on how to improve design, technique or what ever would be greatly appreciated.
P10100308.JPG

woodArtz

New User
Bob
That's a gorgeous bowl there Nate! Great job for a first bowl... or a hundredth bowl for that matter! :eusa_clap

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
No pointers here. :nah: Beautiful work! Your first bowl looks better than any bowl I've ever made. :notworthy:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice bowl :icon_thum Let the wood tell you the shape. In other words try to highlight the features in each piece of wood.

Rob

New User
Rob
Nate, that's an awesome bowl. What did you finish it with?

Only one thing I would take note of, and only because I know you. From the angle, it looks like your base is very small. From an artistic view, I try to proportion my foot with the mouth. Hard to explain,. Just my opinion. But I love the slight curve to the base. And the finish looks awesome.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
All,

Thank you for the kind comments. I turned this on my Turncrafter Pro VS with a Skewchigouge, I've since upgraded to a Jet 1642 and some real tools. Can't wait to start turning again.

Rob,

Thanks for the critique. This may come as a surprise to you, but the finish is 10 coats of thin CA :D and yes it has as very small base. I think that is what the wood wanted:gar-Bi

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nice looking piece!
Cedar as a turning wood can have some issues with brittleness from my experience, but it can TURN out nicely, as you've shown.
CA is a finish I use often on pens and small turnings but not so much on large pieces.
Look forward to seeing what you have to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors