'Fireplace' surround - Material? (not MDF)

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
All
I have surround design ready for a unused fireplace (no chimney left) - so heat will not be an issue. Project is to be painted.
This breaks down to a series of boxes:
- bottom (6x9 x 78),
- sides (4x6x53),
- top (4x6x72) and
- mantel - (2x8x84) above it with 3" crown molding between mantel and top

I'm thinking plywood, either 1/2 inch everywhere, or a mix of 3/4" sides and 1/4 faces.

What type of plywood would you choose and how thick? I'm in Raleigh - but not opposed to driving to THS for the right material.

Thanks

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If you want it flat and stable, then birch ply. The junk they sell as BP at the Borg is junk and will warp on the way home. Actually, not sure why you are opposed to MDF or the MDF with paper applied. Half inch sounds fine to me. Enough to get good miter joints. But there is nothing wrong with gross overkill and 3/4 everywhere.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
If you want it flat and stable, then birch ply. The junk they sell as BP at the Borg is junk and will warp on the way home. Actually, not sure why you are opposed to MDF or the MDF with paper applied. Half inch sounds fine to me. Enough to get good miter joints. But there is nothing wrong with gross overkill and 3/4 everywhere.
Thanks, I was expecting that answer (birch ply).
My inadequate dust collection system is why MDF is not my choice.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
N95 mask. I use one even with my very good dust collection. Of course, my shop is separate from the house and I use a leaf blower after I work with it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's three I did a few decades back as paint grade samples for a millwork company. I used birch plywood and hot melt edgebanding for the exposed plywood edges. This was to show the uses of the applied cast ornamentation glued on with 5 minute epoxy. I was told to get fancy with applied moulding. The tops are double thickness birch plywood edgebanded with a moulding. It was fun work at the time.

1     mantle - 1.jpg

1     mantle - 2.jpg

1     mantle - 3.jpg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Birch plywood or Maple would work as well. I get you not wanting to use MDF. I can’t stand the stuff. I’ve had to use it working in commercial shops with great dust collection and it’s still just nasty over weight stuff that will not truly stand the test of time. I’ve sent several project that have been reworked because the MDF just didn’t last in the site conditions it was put in.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yeah Baltic Birch and Maple, or Mahogany. Mahogany is pretty straight grained and really easy to work with. Just depends on price/cost/budget

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS