Finishing workshop outline 2/25 and 3/25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
As of right now both workshops are full - I can take a few folks on a wait list in case we get some that must drop out
The workshop will start promptly at 9:00 - there is much to cover
Here is the outline of the class
Safety
Wood prep
Grain filling
Wood coloring
Finish types - overview
Application methods
Solvents overview
Storage safety
Shellac in depth
Types
Colors
Suppliers
Mixing
Demo on padding
Student exercise on french polishing​
Toning and glazing
Polishing
Spraying
Gun types
Compressor types
Turbine types
Gun cleaning and maintenance
Gun adjust demo
Fuji turbine demo by David Turner
Student spray exercise
Each student will be able to adjust and spray with each gun
( with nine guns, three compressors, multiple turbines and gallons of lacquer, this should take the bulk of the afternoon)​
If time allows I will demo burn in process for finish repair

Everybody should bring a mask, and a piece of nice wood to practice on

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I/m in the 3/25 class. Couple of questions:

Suggestions on what type of mask to bring? [Sorry, never sprayed before] :)

I have plenty of white oak. What size board is appropriate? Should I sand it in advance?

Where is the class going to be?

Looking forward to this!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I/m in the 3/25 class. Couple of questions:

Suggestions on what type of mask to bring? [Sorry, never sprayed before] :)

I have plenty of white oak. What size board is appropriate? Should I sand it in advance?

Where is the class going to be?

Looking forward to this!

If you are spraying a finish (even water based) you should be wearing a mask, more properly called a respirator. The respirator should have filters made for organic vapors.

A paper dust mask will not work, the harmful vapors will pass right thru. Look for a respirator that has filters with a P95 designation. 3M makes many and they can be found online for less than $20.

For this class, I will be setting up multiple spray stations with large sheets of paper to test spray on. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we can do this outside.

The board I would like you to bring is for practicing french polishing on. about 8" x 12" would be good. Oak will work but something with tighter grain might be better. I am working on a project with cherry and have lots of scrap if you need.

The class will be held at my shop in NE Raleigh - I will send exact address thru private message a few days before the class

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I may have to bow out of Saturday's class, my daughter needs me in Atlanta. I'll know tonight. Is there anyone in the March class willing to switch? Phil, can you broadcast this to the March attendee's? Thanks, will confirm tonight.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I may have to bow out of Saturday's class, my daughter needs me in Atlanta. I'll know tonight. Is there anyone in the March class willing to switch? Phil, can you broadcast this to the March attendee's? Thanks, will confirm tonight.

I can let everybody know but will wait for your conformation

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
As Gilda Radner used to say, Never Mind. Issue resolved, see you Saturday and sorry for the inconvenience.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
WE had a great day yesterday at Phils. He was very informative on a number of finishing processes. As usually the lunch was great also. Thanks Phil for hosting and opening your shop to everyone

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The workshop was great - I feel comfortable using my sprayer now. Just didn't know where to start prior to the workshop. Thanks to Phil for hosting and teaching again - what a marvelous lunch. And thanks to Dirk for helping me learn the ins and outs of the Earlax Sprayer.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Perfect intro to finishing - workshop

Ditto what Dirk wrote.

Many thanks
to Phil, as both host and fearless leader, and to Dirk and Ken and so others who brought their spray equipment. It was sooooo helpful to be able to be hands-on, to be able to adjust and (attempt to) spray evenly.

There were at least three types of systems set up and in use:
- Phil's compressor + LVLP or HVLP guns (yes indeed Phil had a variety of guns there!),
- Fuji turbine systems, and
- an Earlex 5500 systems.
I left there comfortable that I likely could use any of these systems with practice, and what I liked or did not like about each of them.

Since I have a small and slightly larger compressor (20 gal?) I expect to jump in to the game by purchasing two Spray-It guns and some larger diameter air hose. After that, I'll have to see where I go.

I talked to several attendees who said that they have purchased spray systems, but had not used them because they really did not know how or where to start. This workshop was a perfect intro that provided both the understanding of the features of various types of finishes (Phil emphasized shellac and lacquers) and hands-on gun adjustments.

As the outline states we also discussed hand finishing with shellac, and Phil even demoed burn-in sticks for gouge repair.

All that, and a great lunch!

Henry

Last edited:

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Re: Perfect intro to finishing - workshop

Hi Phil,

Could you put me on the wait list for this months workshop? Thanks! A $100 Earlex HVLP came to me via Craigslist because i was blinded by the low price, but now I have no idea what to do with the darn thing

Richard

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: Perfect intro to finishing - workshop

Hi Phil,

Could you put me on the wait list for this months workshop? Thanks! A $100 Earlex HVLP came to me via Craigslist because i was blinded by the low price, but now I have no idea what to do with the darn thing

Richard
We had one drop out so we have room. I will add you to the I am coming list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS