Finishing Red Cedar and Cypress

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Anyone have a good suggestion as to what to use to finish ERC and Cypress for outdoor use? (Swings, outdoor furniture etc.)

Would like to keep the natural look as much as possible with little to no "gloss." Any experience with any of the Thompson's Water Seal products?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Don't know how good of a recommendation this is, but I used waterproof deck stain/protection. It's lasted a long while (several years).

I can, however, say ... don't use polyurethane! It will not last (I know this from experience)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I watched an episode of Nahm last week where he built the Adirondack love seats. He used a stain combination with exterior tung oils and such. I believe it is about the same thing as Behr Swedish (I think it was Swedish) oil. It has UV blockers in it and such, but you will have to recoat it every year or so. I did some white oak rockers my wife had with it and it has held up very well. I will use it again.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I used Behr Tung oil finish on some cypress chairs and an outdoor chest I made last fall. Gives a satin finish that seems to be holding up well. Didn't protect the chest from a limb that broke loose from my neighbor's poplar tree though (2 days after I put it outside!)

Has anyone used Deks Olje? It's made for teak and other marine applications but it may be a good choice.

-G

Nativespec

New User
David
In my oppinion, no matter what you do (short of constantly refinishing) it is going to age, but that is what looks good to me. I cannot understand why people will bother applying finish on a treated deck-I doubt it makes economic sense and the aged look looks better to me.

Thanks,

David

jeeves

New User
dwight
I have used a soild stain. Work will looks like paint without the sheen. Cabot is a good brand and comes in many colors. I have a chair that is about 5 yrs old still looks good The soild color offers more weather protection . Dwight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS