Finishing Help

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I am not the best in finishing. I see m a woodturner and flutemaker. I use wipe on poly and some rattle can lacquer or poly. I’m just not satisfied with my finish.

Are there spray guns that I could use to do a piece or two at a time? On spray guns I know I’d have to clean the gun afterwards so I don’t want to complicate the finishing.

Or do you have good results using another finish, process or method of application?

Thanks in advance!!

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
Mike- I turn bowls and have found a combination of finishes that I am pleased with. I sand to 400 grit on the lathe and then I use three coats of Zinsser shellac sanding sealer, sanding with 320 between grits. I sand the last coat with 2500 grit Mirka pad to remove and nubs and follow with Acks wood paste using their instructions. When I am done with the Acks, I use OB shine juice followed by the Acks wax/polish.

The entire process takes me about 3 1/2 hours per bowl, and the results are like glass with a very high shine. Keep in mind that much of this time is waiting for the coats of shellac to cure and meanwhile I am doing something else on the lathe.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Mike- I turn bowls and have found a combination of finishes that I am pleased with. I sand to 400 grit on the lathe and then I use three coats of Zinsser shellac sanding sealer, sanding with 320 between grits. I sand the last coat with 2500 grit Mirka pad to remove and nubs and follow with Acks wood paste using their instructions. When I am done with the Acks, I use OB shine juice followed by the Acks wax/polish.

The entire process takes me about 3 1/2 hours per bowl, and the results are like glass with a very high shine. Keep in mind that much of this time is waiting for the coats of shellac to cure and meanwhile I am doing something else on the lathe.

Thanks Wally!

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Mike you need the detail spray gun, small, very ez to control etc etc; THIN the material,it may take a little longer to get to the finish you want but it is well worth it. I usually cut my lacquer or poly about 10 to 15%.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Mike you need the detail spray gun, small, very ez to control etc etc; THIN the material,it may take a little longer to get to the finish you want but it is well worth it. I usually cut my lacquer or poly about 10 to 15%.
I’ll look at them. Thanks
I looked at them. Prices are all over the place…You have or know a brand you like or a suggestion?

Last edited:

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I follow a kaleidoscope maker on Instagram who has this slow-rotating setup that lets him put on thick layers of spar urethane sag-free on cylindrical objects. Perhaps could be relevant to flutes? His work looks very professional... Go figure since he's a professional.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I follow a kaleidoscope maker on Instagram who has this slow-rotating setup that lets him put on thick layers of spar urethane sag-free on cylindrical objects. Perhaps could be relevant to flutes? His work looks very professional... Go figure since he's a professional.

Could apply to flutes!! Once you figure best way etc

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I don’t have a large air compressor but the 2 I have run my air tools real good… Is there one that I could use with an air compressor? I wouldn’t be running it long with either flutes or bowls.

Gosh I appreciate your help!!! I just don’t know enough about spray guns and don’t want to make a bad purchase if I can help it.
Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Mike, honestly for your uses you are better off with the wagner, plug it in, adjust gun, spray spray spray :}:}:} It is also much cheaper than separate psc. Spray Max is the model go to Amazon Smile, and get it. How far are you from Zebulon?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I don’t have a large air compressor but the 2 I have run my air tools real good… Is there one that I could use with an air compressor? I wouldn’t be running it long with either flutes or bowls.

Gosh I appreciate your help!!! I just don’t know enough about spray guns and don’t want to make a bad purchase if I can help it.
Thanks!!!

Make a bad purchase, or at least a cheap purchase. A $25.00 'touch up' spray gun will do just fine if you take care of it (like don't drop it on a concrete floor).
I have an air hose with a cheap regulator on one end to regulate for spray pressure. I keep it rolled up until I need it. Quick disconnects on the end of this hose.
Find a lacquer you like. Experiment. Lacquer dries the fastest.
Clean the gun after each use? Not me. I hardly ever clean it. I keep it loaded with lacquer all the time with a plastic bag velcroed around the cup. I'll go months without using it and then when needed, I
l'll remove the bag and spray after checking to see how much fluid in in the cup.
Crucial detail: Block of wood with a hole in it to set the cup down in.
While this flies in the face of internet "advice", it has worked for me for way more than a decade. I don't remember where I heard the bag trick, but it made sense. I tried it and it works.
1     spray - 2.jpg

Two touch up guns. On the left is an Asian POS cheapie. On the right is my favorite DeVilbiss EGA 502 that I've had since before the days of the internet. It works a little nicer than the cheapie but not that much nicer. I used the cheapies for a couple of decades before I got tired of breaking the air connection area with rough service.

1     spray - 1.jpg

DeVilbiss JGA, my go-to cup gun. I've had this for about 30 years. I keep it bagged and loaded all the time. Its a beat up mess but still works perfectly fine for me.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Mike I have a Spray-it Mini gun you should try. It will spray a good poly with no diluting and it will run off of a pancake compressor. Im in Raleigh 5 days a week

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors