Finishing a couple of projects

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here are a couple of small projects that have been in the queue too long:

The salt mill is from a mahogany billet (right). The pepper mill is a 3 board glue-up in wenge. All 3 boards were cut from the same stock.

The wenge turned much nicer that I thought it would based on all the comments and YT stuff. It is/was very open grained, however. I tried wet sanding to take advantage of creating a slurry but it really didn't work.

Finish for both was multiple coats of Zinsser shellac sealer cut 50%. Topcoated (many passes) with rattle can Minwax clear lacquer. When I had adequate lacquer applied, I went straight to the Beall buffers. Probably could have gotten more shine by sanding up through 1200 grit before buffing but this was a commissioned piece - a gift that my daughter wanted to give to her MIL, i.e., I knew I'm not going to get paid.

Lesson learned: stick a phillips screw driver in the through hole when buffing the caps to help hold it. :rolleyes:

Pending: work on photography. I left the Canon in the bag and used a cell phone for this.

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you Dirk. Finishing is where my patience continues to improve.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Those look splendid Gene! I want to turn some mills but so many other things happen. Love the spinney thing!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS