Finished the Dovetail Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Well, almost finished, anyway. I've still got to make a box or drawer or something to hold the manual/bits. I forgot about that part - that's what I get for not having a plan! :roll: I was going to cut out hand holes in the sides, but I haven't really decided on that yet. Maybe a handle of some sort instead? And I still have to finish the finish. Right now it just has some Seal-A-Cell on there.

IMG_0621.jpg

The door slides out on the right side. It's a friction fit to keep it in place - no hardware. I put some paste wax on the runners and it actually slides pretty easily, but still stays put where you leave it.

IMG_0622.jpg

I wanted a sliding door so the door could be put aside and not get in the way in case I want to clamp the jig to the top of the box.

IMG_0641.jpg

Here is how the jig sits in the box. I have it bolted to a board, and the board rests on supports on each side. A cleat on top of the board keeps it held down, in the unlikely event that this box gets turned over.

IMG_0630.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, considering it's my first dovetail project. I know I learned a lot by doing this!

IMG_0642.jpg

Last edited:

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Sweet. I like that wood.

Where will you put a drawer? In the bottom between the cam locks?

Big Mike

New User
Mike
A very nicely done project. I enjoyed watching the progress as you took us through the various steps. It was vicarious woodworking which fits right in with the reasons most of us enjoy woodworking on the web......:icon_thum

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Nice job, that inspires me to make some replacements for some of the plastic tool cases that most tools now come in. Great work.

Steve D

woodguy1975

New User
John
And you say the things I do for my shop are overkill.......

Nice looking box dude. Love the book matched tiger maple in that panel.

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Insomniac, that turned out really nice, I bet you stayed up many nights to finish it:lol: :lol: :lol: . Now, I wish I had a D4 and a nice box to keep it in....still needing the "jealousy smilie". Great job. Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That will work, 'cause that is what I look like when I see that D4 and the thru Dt's I can't yet make. Thanks, Steve for allowing me express myself. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS