Finished step stool - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have posted several inquiries regarding the construction of this project. My Sister wanted this for her daughter, of course out of a Pottery Barn catalog. My parents suggested that I make it for her, so I did, or tried to. All I had was a picture to go by and the overall size. Being the non-comformist that I am, I had to change some of the sizings around, it's a little taller and possibly not as wide, but it's hard to tell from the catalog pic. In order to figure out all the measurements, I decided to make an MDF prototype, out of some scrap. It also served to keep the peace in case my daughter saw it and wanted one. Well here's the prototype.

Stepstool010.jpg

And here is the final result...keep in mind its gonna be painted, hence the woodfiller, and discolored Poplar. I can stand on it and it doesn't even whimper.

Stepstool011.jpg

Stepstool012.jpg

Stepstool013.jpg

And this is what I was trying to re-create. Any thoughts on how to do the finish. I'd like to "antique" it by sanding through the paint on areas of wear, to expose a darker color. I am thinking of a stain, shellac and then my paint, that way I can sand down to the stain to achieve that look. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to waste 15 hours of work by screwing up the finish, BTDT.

Ameliastepstoolexample.jpg

Thanks for looking and commenting, Dave:)

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
That looks great! You got those angles figured out just fine. What method did you settle on for the joinery? I see the cleats, how did you attach those? Did you use biscuits or screws, etc anywhere else?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, 8 deg. turned out to be the best leg/side angle, IMO, the cleats are attached with screws and glue. The rest is biscuits and glue, and of course a la Nahm many "brads". The clamping set-up for those angles would have been a bunch more work and I'm gonna paint it so what's a little filler in the nail holes gonna matter. Any thought on my finishing plans????? Thanks for the kind words,

Dave:)

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
daveo, looks good. i know some of the windsor chair guys use milk paint, a few different colors, sand through the wear areas and then i think shellac over the whole thing. gives the look of several repaintings through the years.

phillip

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Milk paint, that's a really good idea. And seeing as the wife was next to me when I read your reply, I might have to try that method. What would you recommend, as far as colors, numbers of layers and sources for the paint. I've heard of this method, and read a little bit about it, but have never tried it. Thanks, Dave:)

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
daveo, go to www.milkpaint.com and on the homepage you'll see mike dunbar in a little box on the left. click on the article and that will get you going. woodcraft used to carry this brand of milkpaint and as far as i know they still do but i couldn't get the webpage to come up for some reason. as far as colors, look up pictures of old windsors, i'm partial to dark greens and blues sanded through to reds and natural wood. good luck.

phillip

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
LOL, I just posted in the other thread where you were asking for suggestions on building this! Oh well, a day late and a dollar short as they say!

Looks great!

Big Mike

New User
Mike
That is most excellent, Dave. Put a nice color or two on it and you will be good to go. If you want to get fancy you can rout a child's name on it. Good job, looking forward to seeing finished pics.:-D

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Nice job! I agree with the milkpaint suggestions above.

I just may have to try one of those. I've been dying to try my new Kreg jig on something...

Jay

New User
Jay
Dave it really looks good. Make sure you put up some pics when you get it finished and aged I am looking forward to seeing them.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks to all for the kind words. I am too looking forward to seeing what it looks like with the paint on it. I just was so happy to make something out of wood, vs. MDF that I've been using lately, I felt the urge to show it naked:oops: . Poplar is such a boring wood, the milk paint can't but make it look better. Stay tuned for the sequel. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors