Finished project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
OK, since ya'll say it's slow on here, I'll post a project I finished a while back. I would have posted earlier, but after finishing it we were camping a good bit, I forgot about it and it pales in comparison to most of the fine work I see from other members.​

You may recall I posted earlier while working on this project as I encountered some issues and with the help of you folks, I was able to overcome the issues and finish the job. The earlier posts were:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31467
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32668

this first pic shows how I resolved the rabbett dilemma. I made a new fence for the router table and was able to cut the rabbett on the short piece...still using the new fence...why would you want a 3.5 inch gap in a router fence anyway ?​

066.JPG

View image in gallery

Next pic shows the 5 sided frame glued up with the band clamp I've had a long time. I couldn't use the band clamp to dry fit the frame to the camper stove as the metal corner pieces and the band itself would have kept the frame from being up against the two walls...keep reading, you'll see​

Here is the frame after glue up, ready to have the plywood glued into the rabbett. The white panels in the background are another camper project...I'll post it sometime.

Here is the stove cover all glued up & clamped with every clamp I own except for the 4' pipe clamps I have. I decided not to nail thru the sides into the plywood edge after seeing how well I was able to clamp it in place.

And last, here is the finished product, sitting in place on the stove in our camper. We now have a nice counter space for the coffee maker, paper towel rack, etc. Oh yeah, did I mention we don't use the stove as we always cook outdoors...keeps humidity & food smells out of the camper too. If we ever did need to use the stove or oven, the cover just lifts off. Hopefully you can see how the back left corner had to be that short piece in order to miss the bottom of the blind. the blind is anchored so it doesn't beat itself to death as you ride down the road. I wanted this to fit very closely to the walls and the stove, again so it doesn't fall in the floor as we ride down the road.

Thanks for looking.
Brent

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
OK, since ya'll say it's slow on here, I'll post a project I finished a while back. I would have posted earlier, but after finishing it we were camping a good bit, I forgot about it and it pales in comparison to most of the fine work I see from other members.​

Nice job, Brent. I have to say, I wrestle with the same issue of anything I do paling in comparison, but I figured out that for many people it's more about the process and ideas. Your post is a good example-- I REALLY enjoy seeing process photos and details like you've included here. It may spark an idea for something of my own... or (quite often) I see a tool or something that I don't have or didn't even know existed.:thumbs_up

T

toolferone

It looks like it belongs there. A perfect fit. Your fence modfication worked great and much safer too.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Perfect fit. Very well done. Now that's how you make use of otherwise wasted space. :thumbs_up

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
This is when it really pays to know woodworking: You can make custom projects that fit perfectly. That came out great!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
That top looks Super Brent!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I can see some other campers drooling over something like this. Better keep the tools warmed up and come up with a price point as they may generate some orders for you.:wsmile:

One question. After you had it built, did you have to scribe and trim at all to get it to snug up to the corner or were the two walls nice and square?

I agree with others. It looks like it belongs and a very nice looking addition.

Well done!

Wayne

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
That top looks Super Brent!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I can see some other campers drooling over something like this. Better keep the tools warmed up and come up with a price point as they may generate some orders for you.:wsmile:

One question. After you had it built, did you have to scribe and trim at all to get it to snug up to the corner or were the two walls nice and square?

I agree with others. It looks like it belongs and a very nice looking addition.

Well done!

Wayne
The wall to the right has a slight curve to it so there is a very small gap at the center of the stove cover. The 110v outlet at the rear keeps the cover from being tight against the wall on the back. I had planned to make some relief for the outlet, but after testing the fit, I decided it wasn't enough gap to make a difference and unless you look closely, it not that noticeable. I decided that a notch on the back would distract the eye more than a small gap would, so for once, I decided to leave well enough alone and just use it. The fit to the wall and the raised part of the stove make the cover fit snug enough that it stays put during travel. I can move it about 1/16 or less, so it's not jammed or wedged in.

Thanks for the nice comments folks.
Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors