Finished Home Office Cabinet...Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

panthony

New User
Pete
Well it took nearly three years through a terrible economy and not enough time to work on this but I delivered this project to a very patient client.

The original concept rendering
Walnut3S.jpg

View image in gallery

The finished piece

Umich684

New User
Jake
Peter that is fantastic. Excellent representation on the rendering.

On the swing-out portion, both your digital and final, the box on the hinge side is a little different than the handle side. How come? support?

Very nice piece.

panthony

New User
Pete
The open section on the swing out case was designed to reveal compartments accessible from the front slopped panels opened by touch latch revealing a phone on the right and quick drop shelf to the left. The panels on the outside do not reveal this feature when the case is in its closed position.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work there!!! Looks solid and really heavy.:icon_thum

Will last a very long time I betcha!

Wayne

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Simply amazing work and workmanship! I would be interested in additional details on your finishing process...it is beautiful work! Thank you for sharing.

Donn

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Very clever design and excellent execution. It looks great! I'm afraid to share the link with my wife. Something similar could end up on MY Honey-Do List!

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I've never anything like this before. Awesome design and great craftsmanship! What kind of wood and how did you finish it?

panthony

New User
Pete
Thank you everyone for the kind words.

The solid wood case framing and doors are NC rock maple. There is maple ply used for the large panels...however this is the first time I used ply from China...big mistake costing me many many hours to make it look right. It's very hard to work with because the veneer is extremely thin and a bear to machine. Finishing was done with a blended wiping stain and lacquer top coats. Shadow glazing was applied for aging prior to top coat and I used an old scotch-bright pad from the kitchen sink to dull the finish in certain areas.

The cabinet is very very heavy...I know it's gotta be over 300 lbs...maybe more, never measured it. There is 1/4" plate steel built-in and hidden in the rear lower desk side panels for stability and strength. The upper cabinet glass is German bubble held in place with silicone bead. All exterior exposed metal is hand applied antiqued bronze. There is also electronics installed for power, cable and phone. The front is held closed with neodymium magnates.

Looks like the economy has gotten to my day job...so I might be building case-work furniture around the clock instead of in my spare time.

If anyone wishes to know anything in greater detail please write me at panthony at triad dot rr dot com.

Thanks

bwat

New User
Bill
Very unique project and well executed:icon_thum Looks like it is screaming with hidden compartment opportunities?!?!?!?!?

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
WOW, that is really nice. I would love to find out where you got the plans for this, or did you enlist numerous brain cells and come up with your own plans. That is some precision joinery to get those sections to line up properly and get a seamless look.

panthony

New User
Pete
WOW, that is really nice. I would love to find out where you got the plans for this, or did you enlist numerous brain cells and come up with your own plans. That is some precision joinery to get those sections to line up properly and get a seamless look.

Ha...love that! What brain cells are left from the 70's where used to design up the secretary office cabinet which took nearly 2 months to refine the design. I do all of my own design and plans...sometimes on the fly. And...yes it subtly screams hidden compartments.

The separate sections once lined up on the x,y and z work perfectly and took more than an hour to set up. Had to go back to the client site two weeks later to make some adjustments after acclimation but they were extremely minor.

Thanks very much for all of the kind words...I am honored by the craftsman I have seen on this site. There are quiet a lot of woodworkers here who really make this trade desirable...I thank all of you mechanics for inspiration to cut straight, plane smooth and drive it home!

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors