Finally some pictures of my latest project

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I finished a queen sized bed I made for the wife a week or so ago, and finally got around to uploading some pictures to my gallery site. Check it out, i think it turned out nice. My wife was well pleased..

http://www.spryken.com/gallery/CL-woodworking/PA171516

http://www.spryken.com/gallery/CL-woodworking/PA171519

http://www.spryken.com/gallery/CL-woodworking/PA171520

Oh yeah, if you click on the woodworking link in the upper right hand corner of any of these pages, there are some more pictures of other things I have completed.

- clay

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice work Clay!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I really like the easel, my wife wants me to make something like that for our daughter. Did you use any plans? So, how long did it take to make the bed, did you start from rough stock, we need details! Great job on all of your pieces. Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
That easle was a great project, and my son loves it (3 years old). I highly recommend it. It is a New Yankee plan, not so hard to make, but I did seem to need about 6 hands to do the final assembly. It's perfect if you have a little one in your world to make it for. I made it about a year ago, and it is still one of his favorite things to play with. If you decide to make one, I will recommend that you put a hinge on the end that rests on the dowel pegs, to keep that bottom from tipping up when they put pressure on one side.

The bed is solid oak, and very sturdy. I started from rough stock, mostly 5/4, and planed it just enough to get a smooth surface on both sides. I'd say that bed is a great project for just a little above beginner status. To make that bed you need to be able to make mortis and tenon joints, tongue and groove, and be able to joint pieces of wood together to make the legs if you don't want to get 3 inch thick stock. The plan called for a 3inch square piece of wood for the legs, but I jointed 3 pieces of wood together and planed them down to 3inches. If you had the time to devote to it, I'd say you could have it all put together in a week if you worked hard at it, less time if you are faster than me. ( I am really slow ). It took me 2 months of Saturdays and Sundays to do it, but I didn't work more than a couple of hours at a time. You'll need a router, Table saw, drill press, and bandsaw ( althouth I used a jigsaw, which I don't want to do again.. that suuuucked..)

Oh, and the plans for it came from plansNow.com
http://www.plansnow.com/heirloombed.html

The wife wants the matching Nightstands and dresser for the suit next.

-clay

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Clay, a wonderful project done beautifully. If your wife is pleased and you are pleased there is no one else you have to worry about. A family heirloom for sure. I hope you signed and dated it somewhere so that as it is handed down through the generations it remains identified.:icon_thum

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I have nothing to sign and date pieces with. Anyone have a particular technique they like to use? Or even better... Do I get to buy a new tool to do it with?

-clay

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I use a Sharpie, but I have heard of many that use personalized branding irons, pre-made medallions or a current penny that are inlayed, die stamps, etc. Whatever, you need to put your name on what you do, not for yourself but for the pride of those many, many years later. Wouldn't you be proud to show somebody something made by your grandfather and say see here's the date he made it. I alway write in an inconspicuous place, a little message on all the things I make for my daughter. For example, the step stools I am currently making for my niece and daughter will have "Hoping you reach your highest goals, Love, Uncle Dave (Dad, which ever is appropriate)" and the date completed, written on the underside. Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Ditto to everything that Dave said. I have a branding iron for flat work but I use a fine tip Sharpie for my turnings. What ever you choose to do, do it in a protected non-visible area so that it will not detract from the work and will last...:icon_thum

R

rickc

Do you use the Sharpie before or after finishing? I have come up with a logo and use a fine tip woodburning tip. I have been leary of the Sharpie "running".

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've used the Sharpie before the clear coat, but seeing as most things I make that are worthy of signing are either finished with oil or painted, after the finish works great for me. I will find out tonight how Sharpie stands up to a lacquer finish. Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave has all the right answers so let's call him "Dave the answer man......"!:lol:

I always use the Sharpie on bare wood and then follow with a clear coat but I have not had any experience with lacquer so I would test before doing it on a project.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks, Big Mike, I just get lucky sometimes. BELIEVE me I have very much to learn, and hope to from guys like you. Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
Clay you are way too productive for me! Carol will be expecting me to finish stuff within the normal 12 months!

David

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
Excellent!!!!

I looked at your other projects, looks like you made another bed also. That easel does look like a nice project for the kids. I might have to make one of those for my daughter.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Thanks guys.

That easle would make a fine Christmas present. As I said earlier.. My son loves it, especially when the weather is cold, or rainy. In the cold months, he uses it every day. It's easy to make. Do yourself a favor and be sure you frame your own chalkboard/artboard/whiteboard. It'll save you alot of money vs buying one already framed. ( I had sticker shock when I saw how much they wanted for a framed chalkboard ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS