Finally putting in decent access to the shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have had the paver bricks for almost two years now, it is about time I put in a real sidewalk to the shop.

My question is when I dig out the four or five inches of top soil, I have well drained sandy soil. Do I really need to dig deeper and add crushed gravel or can I just add a few inches of coarse sand for the paver base ??

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Phil I have used sand and have alwys had to redo it. Now I use either decomposed granite (granite dust) or polymerized sand. Regular sand eventually washed out in my use after a couple of years.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
do the stone. nothing worse than having to do a redo. The pavers will be cold so the frost line will be deeper than the surrounding soil. BTW, I have a hand tamper if you want to borrow it.

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
Dig. Another option that many installers are using is crushed/pulverized concrete. It packs extremely well and doesn't shift.

Duane

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't want to disagree with the mason in the group - but I have done it both ways and when there is a water path the sand seems to allow the stones to shift...
Now - Dirk may have a trick (or two) up his sleeve...

I have a trellis where there are 10-12 puzzle-pieces and I put small stone down first then sand to set the pavers, I have lifted them once and need to do it again this spring. We have plants on either side of the trellis and it gets watered - so I think it is self-defeating!

Glennbear

Glenn
I put in a double wide paver driveway at my old house and just used tamped sand. I made sure the edges were trapped with the plastic paver edging and I did not experience any problems despite the fact that the driveway had a slight slope. I think since you are only anticipating foot traffic sand will be just fine.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
4" of grade 8, set pavers, fill with Mason sand. Sets up like concrete

Grade 8, aka Road Base, aka Road Mix

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
4" of grade 8, set pavers, fill with Mason sand. Sets up like concrete

Grade 8, aka Road Base, aka Road Mix
No Limestone here (as you already know) it will be what I call landscapers rock - I feel like it is constantly rolling and moving!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have had the paver bricks for almost two years now, it is about time I put in a real sidewalk to the shop.

My question is when I dig out the four or five inches of top soil, I have well drained sandy soil. Do I really need to dig deeper and add crushed gravel or can I just add a few inches of coarse sand for the paver base ??
What is it you are going to use for a "real sidewalk"?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
No Limestone here (as you already know) it will be what I call landscapers rock - I feel like it is constantly rolling and moving!
You can get from any concrete supplier. It's 3/4" and below unwashed crusher stone. If your lucky they will deliver it in a uncleaned cement truck and you get the added bonus of a little dry Portland mixed in. As a matter of fact this is what Harvard Ready Mix did when I worked there. They would schedule stone deliveries for their drivers with the most seniority at the end of they day that way the higher seniority drivers did not need to clean out their trucks.

If you can't get grade 8 ask for shoulder gravel its basically unwashed crushed bank run 3/4" and down and with clay mixed in. When the bank run goes through the crusher the clay forms into 3/4" and smaller round balls. Shoulder gravel packs down nice and tight also. I know you guys don't have shoulders on your roads in NC. But just because the state doesn't care if your tire slips off the pavement and you wrap your car around a tree doesn't mean you can't find shoulder gravel in NC.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
What is it you are going to use for a "real sidewalk"?

The pavers have been sitting in a neat pile at the end of my drive for quite sometime now. I have always been able to come up with a good excuse for not installing them. So now that I have purchased and installed all of my heavy equipment - I/we had to drag the equipment across the dirt, I am finally putting the sidewalk in that I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors