FIL's cross cut sled kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My FIL just got a new Griz cabinet saw. He has been coveting my sled for a while so the LOML suggests that I make him one. OK, great idea, but then my BIL says that he really is looking forward to making one for himself. But we know he doesn't have the time. So I came up with a kit that we will have to fit to his saw. I just did the dirty work. I made the fences out of QSWO for the main fence. With a maple and cherry lamination, for stability, and 'cause it looks good. The rear fence was made out of hard Maple. I decided to put some T-track and a stop block in his, something I wish I had made into mine. So there is a Incra T-track and Ipe stop block. I chose the Inca track 'cause it takes regular 1/4" hex head bolts. The stop block is a bridal joint with brass rods pinning it at a perfect 90º. Once we set it up on his saw, we will decide where he wants it and add a measuring tape to reference to stop block off of. I have a set of Incra Miter sliders to add on the bottom once we set it up for his saw. It's 24" wide and he can decide how deep he wants it to be, up to 30". I hope he likes it.
Dave:)

X-cutsled004.jpg

X-cutsled005.jpg

X-cutsled006.jpg

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Boy Dave, you sure do nice work. Those fences look fantastic.:icon_thum I hope you are not going to tell us again that all of this wood came out of your scrap pile are you? I really like the choices of wood you used as well as the bridal joint for the stop block.

Great job!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DL, this time the wood was purchased. The LOML is buying the gift for her Dad, I am just donating the labor. Thanks for the comments on the wood selection, I really wanted walnut, but couldn't find a good board, so I justified to myself that the QSWO would be more stable. The bridal joint, was the back-up plan after the hand-cut DTs really sucked, good thing I have my new jig, cause I can't cut a straight line to save my life.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I appreciate all the kind comments. I hope my FIL likes it also and uses it. I would be lost without mine, and I added some upgrades to his that I wished I had so it should be even more functional.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Dave,

That is beautiful and I'm sure it will be appreciated very much. You have really been cranking out some beautiful projects in impressive volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS