Filler, Like Epoxy

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I need to fill some octal tube socket bases with a non-conductive filler. Someone suggested epoxy, but that stuff is expensive to fill the whole thing. I don't need anything as strong as epoxy so long as it is hard to remove and solid, which rules out silicone. Do you have any thoughts for an alternative material?

s-l1600-500.jpg

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Maybe a little more info please -
1) by solid do you mean hard? Silicone is solid, but you indicate that wont work.
2) does it need to be clear, colorless, translucent, opaque? Since it needs to be electrically non-conductive, perhaps you are putting LEDs in them.
3) what is the base made of - not everything sticks to everything.
4) is a little shrinkage ok?

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
How about plumbers putty, or that stuff they put around the Freon lines to plug holes (so the mice don’t get in).

bainin

New User
bainin
If you want a hard silicone, you should focus on Shore D silicones. This is the hardness (durometer) scale. Shore D 50 is like as hard as a golfball.

I dont know what an octal tube base is, but it looks like some kind of electrical feedthru.

As a joke, the base you show is already filled with a non conductive filler...air :)

b

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
We used to use a white plaster that was non conductive on machines that handled flammables, not sure what it was called.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will investigate each of them further. If I use silicone, it has to be electronics grade. The protected innards are zener diodes with 320 VDC across them.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
RTV silicone.
That's a big Vz voltage! I assume you've calculated the power dissipation and estimated the temperature rise for however many (4?) diodes will be in there.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
RTV silicone.
That's a big Vz voltage! I assume you've calculated the power dissipation and estimated the temperature rise for however many (4?) diodes will be in there.
Three five-watt zeners. The expected dissipation is about 4.5 watts (total). It's a replacement for a 0C3/VR105 tube.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors