Fill Holes or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonehunter

New User
Jeff
What does everyone do with small holes in a bowl/box that was turned from a burl?

Do you leave it?

Fill it with epoxy?

Or is each turning different so there is no right or wrong?

Thanks.
Jeff

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Jeff, I would say that there is no right or wrong. Burls have their own character and no two are the same. Some I fill, some I leave for the natural look.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Depends on what look your after,as for me I leave em as they give the piece character.I'v seen some that were filled and did,t look good at all,but have seen some that were filled with that colored glass or what ever it is,can't think of what they call it,but anyway it looked great.
Ken

JRD

New User
Jim
It all depends. I just make the decision of how I think the finished product would look the best. Some I fill, others I leave natural.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to the question.

As for filling, I use old coffee grounds and CA.

Jim

BobN

New User
Bob
It depends on the bowl, some look better left alone while others look better filled.

When I fill them I generally use expoy with a little black dye or paint mixed in with it.

Bob

Rob

New User
Rob
It all depends. I just make the decision of how I think the finished product would look the best. Some I fill, others I leave natural.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to the question.

As for filling, I use old coffee grounds and CA.

Jim

Neat idea, I just took my grounds out and am drying them after reading this. Do you use thin, med, or thick CA?

Sir Chiz

New User
Phil
Have to agree with "depends", with natural "voids" in burl, I think most will leave them.
Besides coffee grounds, I sometimes use ground up tree bark, I find it more natural looking than some other stuff.
Thick CA or epoxy will be easier to work with on larger fixes.

I turned this jar for my daughter,to hold coffee, so I filled the bugholes with ebony dust and thin CA., other times I'd leave the holes as is.

Coffee_Jar_n_Scoop.jpg

Phil.

lonehunter

New User
Jeff
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I turned this jar for my daughter,to hold coffee, so I filled the bugholes with ebony dust and thin CA., other times I'd leave the holes as is.

Coffee_Jar_n_Scoop.jpg

Phil.

Phil, That jar is AWESOME!

What finish did you use?

Jeff

Sir Chiz

New User
Phil
Thanks Jeff. :wsmile:
Both pieces were finished with General Finishes brand of "Salad Bowl Finish". The jar and lid have several coats brushed on while turning the lathe by hand. The scoop is just one coat,wiped on,rubbed in, and burnished dry with the lathe running.

Phil.

Dragon

New User
David
Lernin' new stuff here. Since I have an abundance of Ambrosia Maple around here, I just got some new ways of filling the the bug holes. I like the coffee grounds.........avg. day we go through 3 to 4 pots easy so I have an abundance of those too. :widea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS