Figured Mahogany Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I'm about to make a box urn for a friend, and she wants to use mahogany, since her late husband loved mahogany. I want to find something with some nice figure - any recommendations for places that would have it in stock? Wanting 4/4 or 5/4 and 6" wide. I was thinking of driving up to West Penn (I've never been before), but wanted to hear from you all about other options. Or if anyone has some they'd like to sell, I'll take a look.

I'm in the Charlotte area. Don't really want to drive all the way to the Triangle area. Asheville area might be an option (I can convince my wife to do a day trip there!).

Thanks everyone

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Quarter sawn Sapele looks essentially the same and unless she is an expert could not tell the difference. It is available locally

JohnW

New User
John
Hey James, +1 QT Sapele. Not sure if you can see it in this pic, which has sapele sides and lacewood top, but Sapele has a shimmeressence that looks fabulous. I think I just made up that word, but it explains what I think I see:gar-La; Sapele is very easy to work with and finish. Makes a great looking box. Woodcraft in Matthews carries it. Klingspores and most other retailers do too, but Woodcraft is closest to you. I have some scrap sapele in the shop, but not sized like you need. You are welcome to stop in an take a look see.

100_2375.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=33633

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Thanks John.

I actually have some 8/4 sapele on hand, but I want to at least see what mahogany is available first.

"Shimmeressence" is a great word, and easier to remember than chatoyancy. ;-)

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ask Stuart Kent at the NC Furniture School what he has in inventory.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
West Penn is a fun place to visit even if you come up short on your specific need. I would go just because and if you find what you need then bonus. They do list a Honduran curly mahogany on their website but I don’t know how that translates to stock.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm reluctant to use sapele because it was a specific request to use mahogany.

That's fine. You may have to search around to find figured mahogany (Honduran, not the wannabe African mahogany). How many bf of 4/4 or 5/4 x 6" w? Here's a few pictures FYI, but I think that their minimum order is $300, but $10/bf adds up quickly!

http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hard...xotic_wood/mahogany_lumber/mahogany_wood.html

There is a place in Mooresville, NC but I can't find their website, just a FaceBook page. Rick DiNardo is the owner/manager and you'd have to give them a call to inquire.

https://www.facebook.com/festoolsource/

Last edited:

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
That's fine. You may have to search around to find figured mahogany (Honduran, not the wannabe African mahogany). How many bf of 4/4 or 5/4 x 6" w? Here's a few pictures FYI, but I think that their minimum order is $300, but $10/bf adds up quickly!

I did look at a few online places, but yeah, the 10bdft minimum is way too much for what I need. I probably only end up using about 2bdft but I'm looking at buying probably 4bdft.

Curious - Why not african mahogany? I swung by Woodcraft today and they did have some african mahogany in stock, but the grain patterns weren't particularly interesting. From what I've read, the african mahogany is more chatoyant and has more varied grain patterns (both of which I'm looking for for this project)

I'm thinking I'm going to make the trek up to West Penn this Saturday and see what they have, plus I've been meaning to go anyway!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I did look at a few online places, but yeah, the 10bdft minimum is way too much for what I need. I probably only end up using about 2bdft but I'm looking at buying probably 4bdft.

Curious - Why not african mahogany? I swung by Woodcraft today and they did have some african mahogany in stock, but the grain patterns weren't particularly interesting. From what I've read, the african mahogany is more chatoyant and has more varied grain patterns (both of which I'm looking for for this project)

I'm thinking I'm going to make the trek up to West Penn this Saturday and see what they have, plus I've been meaning to go anyway!
James,

YES - go see Rocky and Kim at West Penn, there was a LOT of nice figured wood there when I stopped by to pick-up their donation for the picnic - you can call them first before you make the trip.
I was looking for some wood for the games and found two pieces of mahogany (not figured) for $6!
(getting what you want / specify cost more!:))

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I think that is why people suggested Sapele too... (it not "really" mahogany, but it would probably work for your use)

and the OP said in response to those suggestions ...
I'm reluctant to use sapele because it was a specific request to use mahogany.

Yep and thanks. It'd probably work just fine too and the widow wouldn't know either.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I think the african mahogany would suit my needs and . West Penn lists both on their site, so I can get a good comparison when I go. From the pictures the widow sent me of her ideas, I think the color of african mahogany is more closely aligned with her mental picture.

Might seem picky to to say no sapele but yes to african mahogany, but it's more about how it's labelled rather than what "true" or "genuine" mahogany is. I probably should've said that I mainly didn't want to have a explanation to the widow of what Sapele is and why it's close to mahogany but not mahogany :)

Thanks again everyone!

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone. I went up to West Penn today and got this beautiful board of 5/4 ribboned African Mahogany. Just over 5 bdft.

IMG_24132.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS