Festool Track Saw and Metric Scale on FT joiner

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
Just used my retirement gift (gift card to Klingspors) to pick up a Festool track saw. That is the BEST tool I have ever owed...I wish I had purchased that earlier. It makes breaking down large sheets of BB plywood a breeze. My next tool target is a Festool domino joiner. I kinds of complained to the Festool rep at the Extravaganza today about not making the scales on the domino joiner in imperial. He told me that that issue has been brought up to Corporate on many occasions to no avail........

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Both are outstanding tools. If you get the domino, you will quickly adapt to the metric scales. You could even make a quick conversion table to just have in the domino box if you needed one. Good luck and enjoy!

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
If President Carter would have had his way, we'd all be on the metric system now! :)

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I understand your frustration with metric when we (U.S) have always lived in an imperial world. That said, I own several Festool tools, including the domino, and the metric setups are not a big issue. I have an app on my phone that converts metric to imperial or vice versa, which I occasionally consult when I am uncertain. Enjoy your new tools AND retirement!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I understand your frustration with metric when we (U.S) have always lived in an imperial world. That said, I own several Festool tools, including the domino, and the metric setups are not a big issue. I have an app on my phone that converts metric to imperial or vice versa, which I occasionally consult when I am uncertain. Enjoy your new tools AND retirement!
I've been tempted to switch (back) to the metric system several times. It's easy to divide centimeters and millimeters. Trying to figure out how to put a 5/64" hole halfway in a board that's 19 5/16 long is such a pain.

Reactions: drw

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Get a metric tape measure and do one project in metric and you may never go back. It is so easy once you jump in.
Even 490.54 mm is simple to divide in half

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
hmmmm...I just may try that Phil. Thanks Donn...I think I just traded one job for another, although this time I work when I want to (started my own small part time company). No more driving down into the BIG city to do the corporate grind, I was up at Klingspor's Extravaganza on Friday and wondered the whole drive up there why there were school buses on the road...then I realized I was truly retired as I didn't know (or care) that it was Friday! Now, everyday is a weekend.

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
When it comes to the metric system remember that there are two kinds of countries in the world. Those that use the metric system and the one that put a man on the moon. :)

All humor aside I made the switch to metric for just one project and I will never go back.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
When it comes to the metric system remember that there are two kinds of countries in the world. Those that use the metric system and the one that put a man on the moon. :)

All humor aside I made the switch to metric for just one project and I will never go back.

LOL! And screwed up the Hubbell doing (or failing to do) conversions!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I think the depth scale on the Festool track saw also ignores the height of the track. My DeWalt is in inches below the track. But I have a domino XL. I have a 12 inch ruler that has an inch and metric scale and that helps sometimes. I have no desire to switch to metric but I can handle the metric scales on the domino. I think there are stick on inch scales for the Festool track saw.

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
From what I understand, there are two models of the FT track saw...one made for the US market (with imperial scale) and one for the rest of the world (metric). Some time ago, before the two models, FT supplied a sticker to place over the metric scale to "convert" to imperial. The track saw has two markers for depth of cut...one with the "FS" on it takes into account the depth of the FT track. The other one is true depth of cut (w/o a track).

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I use decimal, metric and fractions in my work so much, kinda used to all of them.

With fractions I normally convert to decimal and if needed then convert back into fractions. That was the only real way I found to lay out curved staircases accurately.

Billm0066

Bill
User
I bought my first festool this year and was hooked. Bought a used sander and vacuum and absolutely spoiled. Then it spiraled out of control a little bit. Came home with a used track saw, and a used domino. I also bought the router but sold it right after because I didnt end up needing it. Then the miter saw. I bought all of them used so I could get my money back out without issue. I really enjoy all of them. The kapex is nice but not worth $1,400. It was worth the $700 that I paid easily. The domino is just amazing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS