Festool observation

Ray2.0

New User
Never good enough
Then you were left behind

I bought my first Mac in 1995. Still have it. It still runs. Have a few more that were purchased to stay compatible with Windows servers which seem to go out of date much faster than any of my Macs.

I think in the computer world you are either an accountant or a content producer, either a programmer or a user, either Windows or Mac.

And no, I don’t own any Festool.

But, I thought we were supposed to keep religion off of here.
Agree , on the other hand , if one had bought stock on apple in 1995 /1996 ( let's say $1000.00 ) today you would be at around 1M
So that apple computer you bought with that 1K , actually did hold you back . But again , who knew !

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Agree , on the other hand , if one had bought stock on apple in 1995 /1996 ( let's say $1000.00 ) today you would be at around 1M
So that apple computer you bought with that 1K , actually did hold you back . But again , who knew !
It actually pushed me forward. I may not have $1 million in stock but I have made more than that in weave design which I never would have attempted without the Mac.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Had to replace the MacPro Saturday. Really didn't want to but the display died. It was 3 years old. I'll spend the next 2 mos. figuring out passwords (again). I use Office 365 on the Mac. The Mac is a handicap user of Office 365 as there is so much in can't or isn't programmed to do compared to a Windows install. And don't get me started on file sorting/moving.

I just figured the few Festools I own with specific cords are a difference between cutters and sanders. No, I don't own too many! But when I need 'em, glad I've got 'em

As to Mac over Windows, for me, Meh!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I can't think of a good reason why a removeable power cord would be a better option than one that is permanently attached. I also can't think of a good reason why a replacement removable power cord should cost almost as much as a buying a replacement tool that has the power cord permanently attached.
Most Europeans have much smaller spaces for woodworking than we have, typically a garden shed or one car garage, sometimes a bedroom in an apartment. Many don't have table saws or big separates like we do. They also place a huge emphasis on portability and dust collection.

They are much more into "system" woodworking like what Festool and Bosch offer. They are big into multi-function tables where they can use a track saw to rip and crosscut, then simply take the hose and cord off one tool, grab another tool, clamp it down, and continue working.

1662425794538.png

They don't have to unplug their sander from the dust extractor, plug in another tool, maybe put some velcro around the hose and the new cable to keep things organized, and then finally getting back to work. Changing tools this way takes 10 seconds.

It might seem like a little thing, but it's annoying. I use my Makita track saw with my dust extractor. I'd guess the cord is 8' long. In order to rip an 4x8 sheet of plywood, I have to drag the DE over to the workpiece and even then if it gets hung up on something I might have to shut down my cut halfway through to swing the cord around. The other option is get out the extension cord I had to buy precisely because the cord is too short, and hook it up.

If I had a Festool TS 55 track saw I could just plug it in and start sawing. When I'm done, pull the cable and hose, attach the Domino or whatever, and keep going.

It seems like a small thing, but Festool stuff has so many useful and time-saving little features that the cumulative effect is dramatic.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Most Europeans have much smaller spaces for woodworking than we have, typically a garden shed or one car garage, sometimes a bedroom in an apartment.
This is an excellent point. Also much of Europe runs on 220 volt, not 110 like we do so the smaller gauge wires work just fine for them.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I guess I am clueless or a simpleton. I have several Festool tools but have never detached a power cord from any of them. I have no idea which ones are big or small. They get treated like all my other power tools without detachable cords.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
AllanD,
Not big or small cords it is the connector configuration at the tool.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Not big or small cords it is the connector configuration at the tool.
Right. They have two types of Plug-It cords, 15-amp and 20-amp. The tool end of the 15-amp plug is configured to prevent using it on a 20-amp tool, but the 20-amp can be used on a 15-amp tool.

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
Just leave the higher amperage cord plugged into your dust extractor. It is also compatible with the lower amperage sanders/Domino etc.

I leave my TS-75 cord plugged into the vac. Problem solved.

For those that don't like Festool and also don't own any/haven't used them - try some out. The ones I have are excellent. Are they expensive? Yes. But they are well engineered and give excellent results. I suspect that their engineering team designs the best tool from scratch as opposed to rebranding or making superficial changes to existing tool designs like the larger tool brand conglomerates. That opens up possibilities, but also increases costs.

The other big benefit I've found are their suite of accessories. While also expensive, their accessories are high quality and widely available/easily purchased - which isn't something I've experienced with the other big tool brands. I never could figure out the right Dewalt hose adapter for my Dewalt ROS sander. Festool makes it easy - all of their products have compatible power cords and vac ports.

That isn't to say Festool is the only good tool brand or any of that crap. There are lots of good brands and tools out there, and I've owned some in each color - but don't dismiss Festool outright. They are popular for a reason. Give'em a shot or come over to my shop and give them a try.

I prefer to buy my Festool tools lightly used from ex-woodworkers living in large houses. Makes them more affordable. :)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Im sure others here have experienced this.... Festool cords that dont work from one to the other due to cord gauges. I know higher amp draw tools require heavier wire, but the difference from the lower to the upper is minimal as far as wire gauge. The cords are keyed at the tool so you cant use a lighter gauge cord with a heavier tool, I get it. But for what these tools cost, I cant for the life of me figure out why they dont just supply the heavier cord across the board.
I take it you haven’t joined the cordless crowd yet?

Took me a while, but I will never go back.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I take it you haven’t joined the cordless crowd yet?

Took me a while, but I will never go back.
If your tool requires a vacuum hose you don't really have any more freedom than a corded tool. The corded tool might even have the advantage because you have to start up the dust extractor before commencing work and turn it off when you're done. With a corded tool you just turn it on and off and the DE turns on and off with it. And no batteries to change.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
If your tool requires a vacuum hose you don't really have any more freedom than a corded tool. The corded tool might even have the advantage because you have to start up the dust extractor before commencing work and turn it off when you're done. With a corded tool you just turn it on and off and the DE turns on and off with it. And no batteries to change.
Agreed.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
That makes sense.

For me sanding is really the only portable tool where dust is an issue, as the fine dust settles all over everything in the shop. I find the vacuum hose restrictive though in terms of handling the tool and moving it around.

My solution is two saw horses, a piece of plywood as a temporary work area and I sand outside the shop. For heavy sanding I have not being able to convert to cordless.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
That makes sense.

For me sanding is really the only portable tool where dust is an issue, as the fine dust settles all over everything in the shop. I find the vacuum hose restrictive though in terms of handling the tool and moving it around.

My solution is two saw horses, a piece of plywood as a temporary work area and I sand outside the shop. For heavy sanding I have not being able to convert to cordless.
The domino pretty much requires dust (chip) collection, removing lots of wood at 14 x 25 x 50mm pockets!

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Im sure others here have experienced this.... Festool cords that dont work from one to the other due to cord gauges. I know higher amp draw tools require heavier wire, but the difference from the lower to the upper is minimal as far as wire gauge. The cords are keyed at the tool so you cant use a lighter gauge cord with a heavier tool, I get it. But for what these tools cost, I cant for the life of me figure out why they dont just supply the heavier cord across the board.
I don’t know see what the big deal is……

In a few years all their tools will probably be cordless anyway.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like the idea of the cord connecting at the tool but not Festools price to get this capability. So, I will say again, I put IEC C13 connectors (male) onto my tools and then I use a long computer cord on my vacuum hose (a Bosch 5 meter) so I can just plug up power and vacuum to the tool I want to use. My vacuum is a Rigid shop vac with a quasi HEPA filter pulling through a dust deputy and trigger by an aftermarket switch that I can plug 15A tools into. I like being able to plug my sanders or my track saw or my domino XL up to this to reduce the mess they make in my 14x24 shop. If I want to use the tool somewhere else without the elaborate shop vac setup I just use another long computer cord or undo the velcro to get the other one off the vacuum hose.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I don’t know see what the big deal is……

In a few years all their tools will probably be cordless anyway.
cordless still requires (typically) a DC hose so not much need for cordless really unless you like dealing with batteries and personally, I dont.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
The domino pretty much requires dust (chip) collection, removing lots of wood at 14 x 25 x 50mm pockets!
I don't have a domino, old fashioned mortise and tenon. But generally I find dust collection on small tools a hassle and just broom it towards my floor sweep when done. It is the fine dust which is an issue.

I purchased a chicken house fan on auction for $70.00, upgraded the motor from 1/2 hp to 2 hp, changed the speed pulleys and put some AC filters in on the inlet. That takes care of everything, except sanding blocks those filters in no time. It also comes in handy for spraying inside the shop, venting to the outside in that case.

I have not upgraded to Festool, maybe one day. My Bosch big RO is a beast though, hard to beat.

Would love a 40+ inch wide belt sander, but the power supply and the additional dust collection is a limiter for the amount of work we do.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I do have and use Festool sanders. Sometimes it’s easier to just grab a sander and get it done. I have found this one to do a pretty good job collecting the dust. Just empty the collected dust often
. 7108982E-2C75-45F1-9F20-45BEF6578180.jpeg

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
If you haven't used a ROS sander with great dust collection, you need to try one. My previous experience with sanding was a corded or battery sander with a bag or box filter. They do collect more dust than simply letting it fly, but still way too much to be healthy.

I made my own adapters with PVC pipe and duct tape to attach my sanders to a shop vac. The dust collection clearly improved, but the vac screamed like a banshee and the dust rapidly clogged the filter.

A couple years ago I decided to upgrade my dust collection and sanders as my budget allowed. I bit the bullet and got a Festool Rotex and the improvement was significant, but the vac still wailed and I got tired of reaching over to turn it on or off.

I didn't want to pay for a $700 Festool dust extractor so I got a little Fein Turbo I for less than half that (it's actually gone down $20 since I bought it). I added a Dusttopper to extend the life of my filter bags. The extractor only starts when I start my sander and it shuts down several seconds after I turn it off. It's amazing how little dust is generated. The only time I actually see any dust is when I sand beyond the edge of a board. The dust extractor is also much quieter than my Ridgid shop vac which I use only occasionally now.

I've figured out dust collection on the band saw to my satisfaction. The drill press dust port Matt found on YT did the same. I'm going to try to improve my table saw too.

I feel like I'm making real progress, but the biggest PITB in the room is the miter saw. If anybody has any ideas on that I'm listening.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors