Festool observation

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Im sure others here have experienced this.... Festool cords that dont work from one to the other due to cord gauges. I know higher amp draw tools require heavier wire, but the difference from the lower to the upper is minimal as far as wire gauge. The cords are keyed at the tool so you cant use a lighter gauge cord with a heavier tool, I get it. But for what these tools cost, I cant for the life of me figure out why they dont just supply the heavier cord across the board.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Which ones are not compatable? I have seven corded Festool portable tools (i.e. sanders, routers, domino) and the cords are all interchangeable.

Inarticulate

New User
Matt
Of the tools I own and ones I have borrowed, the TS75 and OF1400 have required the larger cord. All of the sanders I have used and the domino XL use the smaller cord. The vacs are limited on how much current they can switch on/off so I always assumed they did the smaller cord for people that keep the cord plugged in to the vac and attached to a boom or something similar so you wouldn't accidentally plug in a high-draw tool. I usually decide what to plug or not to plug into my vac based on which cord. The different cords never bothered me since they are removable. If they were following the Apple model, you'd have to buy the cord separately. :)

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Chris, I understand what you are saying. I have at least eight Festool tools and some cords are different...one type will only fit on only a compatible tool while another cord will fit all of the tools. I leave the cord that is compatible with all of the tools attached to the vacuum and simply use it with all of the tools. While this practice may be frowned on, I have done this for many years with no obvious issues.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The only Festool power tool I have is a Domino XL. I like the idea of a power cord on the shop vac hose, however, that is just plugged from tool to tool. So I copied another idea I saw on youtube of putting computer cord connectors on my tools and I then use a long computer cord on the hose. I even cut the domino cord to less than a foot long and plugged it in permanently to the tool and I plug the computer cord into the made adapter I put on that cord too. The computer cords are cheap and readily available in various lengths.

I have also not purchased any domino bits from Festool (I use CMT and Amana bits) and I have also not purchased tenons from them (I make them). Festools business model works best, IMHO, for professionals where time is money. I am a hobbiest and I have the time to mess with power cords and making tenon stock. My guess is the power cords are the way they are so you do not use the smaller cord on a tool that draws more power than it is rated to handle. But I see no reason the smaller tools cannot use the bigger cord. For what Festools cost they have margin enough to use a little more expensive wire in the cords for the smaller tools. It's a bit frustrating to know that Festools are often nicer than most of the tools I use but to feel like they are overpriced making me reluctant to fork over the money.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
JimD is right. Festool is overpriced. I do not own any, and will live on without their Apple model ideas. On the subject of cords. After many years of untangling power tool cords on my portable power tools I reached a solution. All the cords are cut to a length of around 6 to 10 inches. Hanging on my workbench is an extension cord 15 ft. long, because they are all standard plugs they are interchangeable.

Pop :cool:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I only noticed the difference when using my TS 55. That one is different. I noticed because I left the wire in the sustainer and grabbed the one off my sander.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Let me just say that as a programmer and user I'm a fan of the Mac. I switched from Windows 5-6 years ago and have never looked back. That said, there is truth to the frustrations with their consolidation of the ports to a single type. I don't own any Festools but would have the same frustration as mentioned above.

Here's some Apple humor to keep things in perspective. Enjoy, but you'll need to read the subtitles.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Personally if I must drag a cord around with my sander I want it to be the smallest and lightest as possible

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am confused I own a Mac mini, a MacBook Pro, an iPad, an iPhone, AirPods, Apple Watch, and Apple TV
They all work great and I do not remember having to buy any extra hardware or software. They just make my life easier... works for me

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am confused I own a Mac mini, a MacBook Pro, an iPad, an iPhone, AirPods, Apple Watch, and Apple TV
They all work great and I do not remember having to buy any extra hardware or software. They just make my life easier... works for me

Well said...:)

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I havent compared the 4 cords I have yet but The cord I grabbed was for my Rotex and it would not fit my TS75. While they ALL will work with the one connected to my Cleantec Vac ( I bought it second hand and it had the cord installed) so Im not sure how that one works with the keying, so apparently they have at least 3 different cords. Phil, I hear what youre saying about dragging a cord around but I think the vac hose is the limiting factor for weight and drag.

Ray2.0

New User
Never good enough
Then you were left behind

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have 5 Festool items. They all use the same cord. It makes perfect sense that the higher amperage tools use a different cable. It's nice to have one cord attached to my dust extractor and all I have to do is swap out the tool to keep on working.

I've also found that the cords to some of my other corded tools are infuriatingly short, like my Makita track saw. No such problem with Festool Plug-It cords.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought my first Mac in 1995. Still have it. It still runs. Have a few more that were purchased to stay compatible with Windows servers which seem to go out of date much faster than any of my Macs.

I think in the computer world you are either an accountant or a content producer, either a programmer or a user, either Windows or Mac.

And no, I don’t own any Festool.

But, I thought we were supposed to keep religion off of here.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I am not a big fan of Festool due to their pricing. I prefer to buy more reasonably priced tools that usually have attached power cords (or no cord needed).

I can't think of a good reason why a removeable power cord would be a better option than one that is permanently attached. I also can't think of a good reason why a replacement removable power cord should cost almost as much as a buying a replacement tool that has the power cord permanently attached.

The Festool products that I have used and owned have all been good quality, just not enough better than the competition to justify the Festool pricing.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I bought my first Mac in 1995. Still have it. It still runs. Have a few more that were purchased to stay compatible with Windows servers which seem to go out of date much faster than any of my Macs.

I think in the computer world you are either an accountant or a content producer, either a programmer or a user, either Windows or Mac.
My first computer was an Apple II+. That was when Wozniak was still involved. I loved it because I could do what I wanted to it, experimentation was encouraged.
Then, Apple became a very closed system (computers, phones, ipods, etc. ) that works well for lots of people who just want it to work. And it does, if what you want it to do is what 'they' want you to do with it. I kinda don't.

Microsoft is following suit, IMHO.

I prefer to tweak and poke. Linux allows and encourages tweaking and poking. That's for me. To each their own.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS