Feedback please on planer selection

Dorm

New User
Dorm
So the Delta benchtop planer my wife bought me 10 years ago pretty much died yesterday. I knew it was on borrowed time, so I've been waiting and looking at new ones. I'm considering the Rigid R4331 and DeWalt 734 models and would appreciate your recommendations on which to purchase.

Ciao ... Dorm

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Whitney made good planers if you can find a good deal on a used one.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I can't comment on these specific models. I do know that many consider the DeWalt 735 to be the top of the class model in portable planers - and maybe it's priced accordingly. If portability is a requirement, then the pic Bob posted of a Whitney planer might not fit the bill.

I was gifted an old Belsaw 12" planer/molder as my first planer. Cost wise such a beast is no more expensive (used) than the new models you are looking at, but size, weight, and power requirements are all much higher (mine is 220V with either 3 or 5 HP, it's hard to tell on the name plate of the motor). If you want a lifetime tool, these larger 'floor model' planers can take all day use, but don't neatly tuck away under a shelf (Bob's pic doesn't really show a floor model, but I'd hate to have to pick that one up regularly). To seek out one of these you'd have to search regularly on Craigslist or other tool sites, and be patient, but I see such beasts with some regularity in my perusal of these sites.

Some would point out the advantage of SHelix or Byrd carbide insert blade heads (available for the DW 735 and cost almost as much as the planer itself). I would love that, and these make sense for a long term tool. Looking at the models you are, I expect that you are not thinking of such an upgrade (at least this doesn't make sense to me on a 'disposable in 10 years' machine)

Hope that helps, although it clearly does not really answer your question.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use an old Ryobi AP-10 and think sometimes about a replacement. But it works well and I have a couple sets of knives and can sharpen them pretty easily. So until it quits I will probably not do anything. I'd like it if the AP-10 held thickness better - it seems to drift a bit - and sniped less. But I can add the rollers it came with that plus my technique can greatly reduce the snipe.

I like the 4 posts of the DeWalt, I think it would help with both thickness control and snipe to support the cutting head better. Both the Rigid and the DeWalt have nice features compared to what I am using. I noticed the Rigid has a 2.5 inch dust port. Does the DeWalt 734 have the 735 style dust port that also supports 4 inch connection? If so, that would tip things in it's direction for me. I don't think a shop vac can really keep up with a planner although it would reduce the mess mine makes. But a DC should do significantly better. I didn't notice the Rigid's weight but I think the DeWalt is 80 lbs. That is less then the 935 but still very heavy. I have my Ryobi on a flip stand but it would be more challenging to do this on a 80 lb planner. If the Rigid is lighter, I would say that is an advantage but that depends a lot on how you will use it. If you bolt it to a movable stand, more weight could be an advantage since it implies it is sturdier.

They both seem good to me, in other words. Which is best depends on how you want to collect dust and how you will support it in use.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a DeWalt, but it's a little older, the 733, and I like it. The thing I like most is I can take out the blades, sharpen them on my diamond stones, reinstall, and be back to work in about 40 minutes.

If I wasn't as concerned about operating costs then the disposable blades would be more attractive. Another advantage (to Me) is the weight of the 733 is much less. I can easily lift it to the bench when needed and back off when not needed. The price was also attractive being a gently used specimen.

But to directly answer your question, If I had to choose between the DeWalt 734 or 735 and the Rigid I would have to go with the DeWalt.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have a DeWalt 734 mounted on their accessory stand for portability (the planer weighs 80 lbs). It's been fine for my needs and I don't have room available for a larger and heavier planer that's wouldn't be movable. The chip ejection isn't great but it's not a show stopper either.

Last edited:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Having sold both machines you want the 735. It has many features that you only find on larger floor model planes. Believe me when I say the upgrade from a 734 is well worth the additional $150.

Pop

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
I have the 734, its been fine for me. Only complaint was I nicked a brand new knife first time I used it on some hard pine knots.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
So the Delta benchtop planer my wife bought me 10 years ago pretty much died yesterday. I knew it was on borrowed time, so I've been waiting and looking at new ones. I'm considering the Rigid R4331 and DeWalt 734 models and would appreciate your recommendations on which to purchase.

Ciao ... Dorm

Dorm, I somehow can’t find where you asked about the DW735;)

I have the DW735 and I used to have a DW733. The DW733 (and the very similar DW734) are nice, but the DW735 is nicer, and there are upgrades that are tailored to the DW735. That means it can be upgraded and grow with your needs if you choose to add on capability.

If you’re really only looking at the Rigid or the DW734, I would say go with the Rigid. Some of my friends have that planer and I haven’t heard anything negative about it. I came close to getting the Rigid but ended up with the DW735.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the DeWalt734. Chip extraction is not good if all you have is a shop vac. Although it has a 4" exhaust,it is on the side,so the far side suffers, and will blow the chips out onto the wood,giving it a peened effect on the finish. That is with the 2" adapter, hooked to a shopvac with a 10 gal Thien-style separator. May work better if you have a 4"dust extraction system.

The blades are 2 sided,and with care, you can restore the edge a couple times.

That said, my neighbor has the DW735. Worlds of difference in performance and chip extraction (has its own blower, so vac not required). Blades are not a lot more $$ than for the 734. IMHO definitely worth the extra bucks.

For info on the Ridgid, you may want to go to the Ridgid forum https://www.ridgidforum.com/ and do a search for the R4331 in the woodworking or powertools sub forums..

FlyingRon

Ron
The bigger the thing is the better the deal usually is. I've seen large planers at liquidation auctions go for next to nothing because it was going to take a crew to move the thing.

I have been happy with my Jet-JJP12 with the helical head. I've got a pretty small shop.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS