February NCWW Monthly Contest - Hand Tool Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Simple rules, these should be projects that were created with hand tools starting with wood in the rough. We are not requiring that you felled the tree with an axe.
I have only done one small project with only hand tools and while it was only practice, it was very satisfying. Looking forward to seeing many projects

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Simple rules, these should be projects that were created with hand tools starting with wood in the rough. We are not requiring that you felled the tree with an axe.
I have only done one small project with only hand tools and while it was only practice, it was very satisfying. Looking forward to seeing many projects
Ah, Bandsaw and power planer to size, or completely hand tools?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Ah, Bandsaw and power planer to size, or completely hand tools?
Whittling

fashion-deer-antlers-stags-whittler-whittling-nfkn130_low.jpg

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Come on folks, time's a wastin'. Let's get those entries posted. February is a short month - even with leap year day added.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have plenty of corded tools that fit my hand....do those count?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
OK.. I'll go first. This is my take on a 17th century carved box in the Peter follansbee style. Please note that I am teaching myself to carve so be gentle...

20151211_105827.jpg

20151225_122724.jpg

20160207_173331.jpg

20160207_174103.jpg

Is not complete just yet.
I'll try to finish the box this weekend.

Attachments

• 20151211_105825.jpg
    20151211_105825.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 20151225_122724.jpg
    20151225_122724.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Also.... My thanks to Mike Davis for generously sending me the two carving mallets you see in the pics. They are awesome.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Yeah I don't have any projects that meet both requirements 1) started from rough lumber and 2) hand tools only. Well, I did think of one, a hatchet handle made of holly. It started with a tree limb and I shaped it with a draw knife but I never bothered to take pictures. Tough category.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I came home and cut the rabbets ...love my mitre box but it needs a good sharpening and set.

20160209_181138.jpg

Then split off the waste. I've never done this on a real piece before....and certainly not one I've already carved.

20160209_181606.jpg

Split nicely right to the line ...this Oak is really really dry.

20160209_181804.jpg

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
As always...life gets in the way of things. I haven't had much free time to work on this box due to family medical issues not yet resolved. But I found a little time today to finish it up. I decided a while back to make this a learning example...which gave me a free hand to cut a few corners in the name of education (and expediency).

20160214_112427.jpg
Cutting the base..

20160214_112907.jpg

I made the gimmals from cotter pins. I was going to make them from 3/8 rod but I don't have any on hand. I will next time as these stainless pins are too hard to bend correctly.

20160220_131215.jpg

20160220_131222.jpg

finish.jpg

With a little Danish Oil...not the way I wanted to finish it but it's what I had close by.

20160220_133605.jpg

I'm going to take the screws out and replace them with wooden dowel pins...probably walnut for the contrast.

Attachments

• gimmals.jpg
    gimmals.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 185

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
20160220_183913.jpg

Finished.....replaced the screws with walnut pins. My oldest son confiscated it...he collects watches and asked me to make an insert to hold some of his favorites.

It's really a nice feeling to know you made something with your hands alone. Granted I did use my power planer...but I did a fair amount of hand planing to get one rough sawn surface reference flat. It's full of mistakes and I love them all. Hopefully I will not make them again.

Last edited:

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Yeah I don't have any projects that meet both requirements 1) started from rough lumber and 2) hand tools only. Well, I did think of one, a hatchet handle made of holly. It started with a tree limb and I shaped it with a draw knife but I never bothered to take pictures. Tough category.

I think the "started from rough lumber" could be negotiated given the number of entries. You should post a pic (or more) that violates that constraint and see what happens.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I think the "started from rough lumber" could be negotiated given the number of entries. You should post a pic (or more) that violates that constraint and see what happens.

+1...I don't want to win by default. Actually...I've already won. My son loves my box. Hopefully he'll pass it down. Either way I'm a winner.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
We'll be closing this one out. There was only one entry so there is a Winner. It was Chris C for his Hand Carved Box. Very nicely done.

We'll announce the next category very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS