Favorite handplane

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
1. Lie-Nielsen. Their totes are just more comfortable that equivalent Veritas
2. Veritas - and some of their design innovations make them superior to their LN equivalent
3. pre-WW II Stanley

and if you can call Norris or Spiers a brand and money is no object, they would be #1 for bench planes

nn4jw

New User
Jim
1. Lie-Nielsen. Their totes are just more comfortable that equivalent Veritas
2. Veritas - and some of their design innovations make them superior to their LN equivalent
3. pre-WW II Stanley

and if you can call Norris or Spiers a brand and money is no object, they would be #1 for bench planes

+1 to 1, 2, and 3.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
A Krenov-style plane from hocktools. A LN 51 is a close second

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Lee Valley's Veritas because I am always grabbing the low angle jack.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=49708&cat=1,41182,41186,49708

attachment.php

I'd really like to make and try using a scott meeks plane if I ever can find the time for it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 05p3401s5.jpg
    05p3401s5.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 285
  • 248399510.jpg
    248399510.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 304

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Mike,

I have a number of vintage Stanley and Marsh planes (block, smoothers, jacks and jointers, including a few Bedrocks and a 45), but my favorites are my Lee Valley Veritas planes -- the low angle block plane, the small BU smoother and the low angle jack. The most versatile for joinery are my skew block plane and medium shoulder planes.

Rob Payne

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I'm pretty crazy about any plane that works well. Vintage, woodies moderns whatever. I love my LNs but bevel up and specialty planes seems to be dominated by one brand.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4381.jpg
    IMG_4381.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 274

Gilley23

New User
Bryan
I have ZERO planes, but have been interested in them. What's s good all around plane that's budget friendly?

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
What is your favorite brand of hand planes?

I like the bevel up planes a little more than my BD planes. I found a LN 62 and a LN164 used at fair prices. I use these 2 planes about 80 percent of the time with all kinds of different blades. I have tried the Veritas BU planes and they are made very well and I would be just as happy with those.

Its funny Mike but all the guys I know personally who own high end planes along the Norris line, don't use them. They're wrapped in a cute flannel bag and they sit in a dust free drawer. To each his own but that's not my interest.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
i have a Stanley-Bailey #5 that belonged to my grandfather, he used it during his days as a carpenter. It sat untouched for many years, pitting and rusting. The handle was broken, and the iron still is not completely flat and sharp yet. I've been working on it off and on over a few weeks. I've cut a replacement handle out of cherry (just to see how close i could get it).
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170321_221813.jpg
    20170321_221813.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 20170323_131751.jpg
    20170323_131751.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 196
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor