Father Son Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Here's one of the things my son and I have been working on since about mid-day Tuesday. A small, 4 person (30"x60") dinning table for his girl friend's college apartment. It's all made of ambrosia maple. The undercarriage is just tinted heavier than the top. All mortise and tenon joinery. We got a top and legs made for a harvest style table for my daughter this week also.
Rob

Attachments

• Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 195

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I know it must be a pleasure to be able to do something like that with your son-----sometimes dad and lad just do not work together very well.

At any rate, that looks like a professional job on the table. I hope the recipient appreciates that piece of work.

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that's a great looking table. I really like the uniformity of the Ambrosia Maple on the top. Often there can be too much contrast in A. Maple. Great way to build something also. I hope someday that I can make something with my daughter.
Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Thats some good looking wood, and a very fine table:icon_thum
And father and son project makes it even better

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Jerry we work better together now that I've become smarter. I use to not know much according to him. The girlfriend does know a little about the work that went into it. She's sat in the shop for the last two days, reading a book and watching us work on it. I really think it will be in their house one day and the best I can tell they think so too.

Thanks Dave. We selected the wood for the top carefully and we used 1% med. brown TransTint dye in polyacrylic to even out the color.

Rob

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
That's a beauty, Rob. Great looking wood!

My son and I worked on my kiln together today, and it's a real pleasure to have him around.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jerry we work better together now that I've become smarter. I use to not know much according to him.
Rob

It is amazing how parents can get smarter. When I was young, my father was a complete idiot. He knew nothing of what was going on, But now that I am older, and a father myself, I am amazed at how much my Dad knows, and how he is willing to share it with me. Must be something in the water....he sure learned a lot in a short time :lol::lol:

mcoston2

New User
michael
To me, that is a great piece of art. The color and style go hand in hand. I hope that you and your son will always remember this time together.:icon_thum

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Gonna get sappy here for a minute. ALWAYS take the time to do things that are of common interest with your children. My dad & I had nothing like that. The only "hobby" interest my dad had was baseball, and I was horrible at it. He played semi-pro when he was younger. I have no memories of time in the shop with Dad; time hunting with Dad; time fishing with Dad; time doing anything except fixing stuff and watching baseball on TV. The best and only real lasting investments we can make are in the lives of others, especially our children. My dad traveled for work so I only had him on the weekends. I'm happy that he was there when he was there. I will say his most cherished thing I ever gave him was a small table I made when I was in my 20's. My first DAYG project. He cut a piece of glass to put on top and it never left the side of his recliner 'til we cleaned out the house after he died. I now have that table in my office and it reminds me that it was something that I did to invest in him. Your son, and his girlfriend, will not soon forget this joint project. Why? Because it is full of love. Great job!

Last edited:

childe

New User
Chris
That's awsome! My son is 4, and he loves to follow me down to the shop. I've got a little manual hand drill that I let him drill holes into scrap wood with. He'll also take scrap pieces, glue, and some small clamps, and put together some real interesting pieces of artwork. He likes to give his finished pieces to relatives. I like to let him flex his creative muscles. Anyways, I love to spend the time together with him.

Chris

M

McRabbet

A beautiful project outcome and a great team effort. It is an added bonus that your son and (apparently) future DIL both took such a strong interest in participating. Well done!

J

jeff...

It is amazing how parents can get smarter. When I was young, my father was a complete idiot. He knew nothing of what was going on, But now that I am older, and a father myself, I am amazed at how much my Dad knows, and how he is willing to share it with me. Must be something in the water....he sure learned a lot in a short time :lol::lol:

I think it was Tom Sawyer who said he was amazed how much his father learned while he was away at college.

Thats some pretty maple and a nice job putting it all together...

charlie s

New User
Charles
Rob:

Ironically, the first thing I made for my son in law was a dining room table about the size of yours. I've now made almost all their furniture and there's nothing I enjoy working on more, especially because they really appreciate it and it guarantees me all the time I want in my shop; the wife knows she'll get a trip to DC to deliver whatever I'm building (right now a desk) so I get a free pass to the shop.

That ambrosia top is absolutely gorgeous; I'm sure it will be treasured by the two of them.

Charlie S

nelsone

New User
Ed
Wow, you really did a nice job on that! I should have stopped by the shop when you were building it to gain some knowledge!

sapwood

New User
Roger
That's a beautiful table Rob :icon_thum
The spalted maple is really striking. Congrats to you and your son!

Roger

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Ed your always welcome. Speaking of welcome, Charlie you and MikeH come by sometime and introduce yourselves. According to Ed, Mike just lives around the corner from my shop.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS