Fall Raffle Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

As I reported at the BoD meeting we had a few weeks ago, I have some prizes in hand and was still soliciting from other vendors. Here is what I have so far:

Lee Valley: a medium shoulder plane, one of the DX60 premium block planes (not the nickel resist one but it is a premium plane at twice the tolerances of a standard Veritas block plane) and a small router plane. (Retail value: $175 + 179 + $55 = $409)

Lie-Nielsen: Two Cross Peen Hammers, one Brass head signed by Thomas Lie-Nielsen and one A2 Steel (Retail Value: $85 + $85 = $170)

Carolina Lumber Sourcing: About 50 BF of Curly Maple (22 boards in bundle) (Retail Value: $240)

Grizzly Industrial declined to contribute anything to us even though I/we offered to defray part of the cost.

Earlier, Coleman Fourshee of Klingspor had quoted just the Fuji HVLP Spray system, but I asked him for prices on more items.
Here is all of his stuff:
HVL-303 FUJI Q3 PRO HVLP SYSTEM Fuji gave a small contribution so here is what I can do.....thanks.
Retail value - $749. Your cost - $400

Shop Fox W1707 (17”) or your price $700 Sale Price$995.
W1729 (19”) Bandsaws: your price $875 Sale Price $1195.
Rikon RIK-10-345 18” Bandsaw your price $875 Sale Price $1379
Powermatic PM2800 Drill Press your price $625 Sale Price $949.
FS574258 DOMINO JOINER DF 500 Q-PLUS your price $475 - Sale price $775 * this is demo unit that hasn't been used but has been shown.
FS493301 DOMINO ASSORTMENT SYSTAINER - your price $150 - sale price $260
FS574307 DOMINO DF 500 JOINING SYSTEM New - your price $600 - $775 sale price

I know the Board approved a budget of $1,000 for this Raffle and we will still have some minor costs associated with Pay Pal, but I propose we get the Powermatic Drill Press and the Demo Domino Jointer and Assorted Domino Systainer for a total of $1,250. Talk about some great prizes!

We can sell raffle tickets at the Klingspor event (we’ll work out the details) and we can have all of the prizes there as well. Is the extra money worth it? I sure think so – if you want, I [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] have put this info into a thread in the BoD Forum on the site so we can discuss it. I’d like to make a decision by the end of this week so I can get cracking on preparations for the process.

BTW, Nancy and I will be in Apex Wednesday through Sunday so I can be reached on my cell phone and we can meet if anyone wants to get together. I’ll have my laptop, too.

Rob Payne

Robert R. Payne, Vice President
NC Woodworker, Inc.
70 Hounds Chase Drive
Hendersonville, NC 28791
Phone: 828-692-1426
Cell: 919-210-5914
rrpayne@bellsouth.net

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am stingy, so I don't like spending what we have, but we need to do stuff to raise funds.

Overall, we are sitting around $12K in total funds. Around $1K in Paypal and $11K in Bank of America.

Expenses have gone up over the past month though. We spent close to $400 on promotional stuff (hats/stickers), a little over $500 on the calendar contest, around $300 to $400 on software upgrades and renewals, etc, and another $100 on the goodwill lathe. Speaking of the goodwill lathe, ScottM, the parts for it are at my house. I will get a controversy started so we can have another lunch meeting!!!! Just kidding...

Seriously, we have spent a $1000 over and above standard expenses, so I am a little paranoid. Google is still paying pretty well and is a good steady source of income. The raffles have been a good revenue source for us......

Thinking about it, I am agreeable with Rob's recommendations and my vote is to move forward. I think it is a pretty good haul, and a nice bit of diversity.

Kind of disappointing on Grizzly.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I also vote to move forward based on the financial report from Travis. There are no software upgrades lurking out there that I know of for a while.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
In view of the report I vote to go with the domino (+ accessories) and PM drill press. Darn I wish I could enter.:tongue2::gar-La;

TracyP

Tracy
Me Too, would make a nice addition to the Kapex.........I will probably buy a couple of tickets anyway for a donation, maybe we could all buy a couple and put them in a second chance drawing if we win. Nothing more than a little fun, and a prize for someone. I'll bet I could get Rick to donate a prize or two. Call it BOD door prize, or just pool our money together that we would normally use to buy tickets and use them for door prizes. Ok, I have been thinking way too much today.

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Tracy -- I hope you have better luck with Rick than I seem to have -- I sent him a request in early August and never heard back from him. He did donate some prizes at last Spring's Picnic, so maybe he will give us some again.

BTW, you are not the only one that would like to get one of these prizes -- I'd love any of them in my shop! But before I proceed, I'd love to hear from ScottM, Scott Smith and Stuart to be sure we are all in agreement.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Correct me if i I am recalling wrong. We are going to be selling raffle tickets at the Klingspor event, and then will open it up here on the forum. Are we selling at the turning event?

Do we need some kind of signage for the Klingspor event?

M

McRabbet

We had discussed starting the Raffle in mid- October -- if we wanted, we could kick it off at the Greensboro Meeting, but I am not sure if they will allow us to display prizes and sell tickets. Coleman has agreed to help us with signage at the Klingspor event as he has done in the past -- I think I can get him to produce a good sign for the raffle for us, especially if it features some tools that he has provided. I have no problems opening it to the forum about the same time (mid-October) so our members get enough time to make their decisions. If the BoD wants to wait until after the events, then that would be fine, too. IMHO, it should run for 30 days.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would like to discuss the raffle, ticket sales, tracking, and how we are going to pick the winners. I have some preconceived notions and they all relate to fear and paranoia about not having a good system in place before we get started.

Sure, everyone who buys a ticket gets a number. How do they get a ticket? How do we ensure payment is received, tracked, and tickets are issued? How will the numbers be assigned? How will we handle the drawing?

Since we have agreed we are ineligible, I don't have to worry about Tracy again ;-) , but seriously, there is a lot to consider and get ready for to do this with a bigger pool of people handling tickets, sales, etc than just Steve.

As to Tracy's suggestion, I would be up for a BOD raffle. Heck, we could all contribute and do something or another. Might be fun!

TracyP

Tracy
OK, let me see if I can clarify my thoughts. I have seen past Raffles as a reason to donate, and a chance to win. But since we are ineligible, I thought we could still buy the tickets we normally would and "IF" one of us won we "WOULD" donate the prize back to the site for a second chance drawing. Sounds goofy I know, but could be fun and show the members that these raffles are not one sided or rigged as some of the members felt when I won the Kapex, and when Rob won the Work Sharp at the 2008 Picnic. If this is in left field, please let me know. I have been a little stressed lately funding and building a website for my church. It has been a long two weeks.:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I'm OK with Rob's suggestions.

Tracy -- I hope you have better luck with Rick than I seem to have -- I sent him a request in early August and never heard back from him. He did donate some prizes at last Spring's Picnic, so maybe he will give us some again.

BTW, you are not the only one that would like to get one of these prizes -- I'd love any of them in my shop! But before I proceed, I'd love to hear from ScottM, Scott Smith and Stuart to be sure we are all in agreement.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
OK, let me see if I can clarify my thoughts. I have seen past Raffles as a reason to donate, and a chance to win. But since we are ineligible, I thought we could still buy the tickets we normally would and "IF" one of us won we "WOULD" donate the prize back to the site for a second chance drawing. Sounds goofy I know, but could be fun and show the members that these raffles are not one sided or rigged as some of the members felt when I won the Kapex, and when Rob won the Work Sharp at the 2008 Picnic. If this is in left field, please let me know. I have been a little stressed lately funding and building a website for my church. It has been a long two weeks.:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Interesting idea, but it may be cleaner for us just to make an outright donation to the site and let the members know that we've disqualified ourselves from the raffle and made donations in lieu of buying raffle tickets.

TracyP

Tracy
Interesting idea, but it may be cleaner for us just to make an outright donation to the site and let the members know that we've disqualified ourselves from the raffle and made donations in lieu of buying raffle tickets.

You are probably right. I just want the members to know that the BOD are not eligible to participate but we feel the same as everyone else that the raffle is to support the financial well being of NCWW, and we are participating in that way. The amounts we donate need not be discussed as the number of tickets purchased by a given member need not be disclosed. Just thinking out loud......

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
You are probably right. I just want the members to know that the BOD are not eligible to participate but we feel the same as everyone else that the raffle is to support the financial well being of North Carolina Woodworker, and we are participating in that way.

Tracy, very well stated - I concur.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I see where you are coming from, and I kind of like it.....

The more I think about it, the more I like your idea. We make part of the raffle announcement that the BOD can buy tickets (and I will), but if one of us wins, we put it back in the pool for a 2nd chance drawing.

STILL, I might have a HARD TIME doing it, if I were to win say the Domino or the drill press as I have had my eye on both for quite a while........

So, I would say we are ineligible to keep a prize if we win, but we are eligible to buy tickets and play. If one of us were to win, we would have to put it back in the prize pool and that prize would go to the "end of the list".

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I will throw my 2 cents in. I don't get it. If we are ineligible then we are ineligible. What are we hoping to achieve? Good will? We can just give a donation to NCWW, Inc. and be done with it. Why go through the riggamaroll. A clear indication that this is not rigged in any way is for the winner to be a non-BoD member.

(I would have to keep the PM drill press and give mien to the next ticket drawn. :rotflm:)

M

McRabbet

Okay, here is an outline of the Raffle Process as I see it.

Oct 9 -- Finalize all of the Raffle Prizes (the only outstanding possibility is Rick DiNardo, if he wants to participate with no cost items)
October 14 -- Finalize the graphics for posters for Greensboro and Hickory -- get to printers (Rob Payne)
October [STRIKE]22[/STRIKE]19 -- Announce the Raffle on North Carolina Woodworker.Net -- Put out a CL Announcement in Raleigh and Charlotte and Asheville
October 23-25 -- Greensboro Symposium
October 30-21 -- Klingspor Extravaganza
November [STRIKE]18[/STRIKE]16 -- End Raffle at 6:00 PM
November 19 -- Send out Raffle numbers to all ticket holders by email
November 20 -- Conduct a drawing at a Triangle area luncheon
Notify winners by email

Details: As before, the Raffle will be done with a special page on the website that links the person to Paypal to place their ticket order. Here is the language we used in the Announcement for the last two Raffles:
  1. All sales will be performed via this Raffle Link which will take you to Paypal. Please remember that you don't have to use or even have a Paypal account. You may use a credit card or even write an electronic check. However, we cannot accept checks or cash directly.
  2. Tickets may be purchased by anyone, including persons not registered on the website, except as noted below.
  3. Please make sure you included your email and phone number with Area Code in your contact info.
  4. Please make sure you include your UserName when asked.
  5. You will get a online receipt from PayPal. Please keep the Transaction ID or order number. Printing the entire receipt would be a good a idea.
  6. The Raffle will close at 6:00 PM 11/[STRIKE]18[/STRIKE]16/2009.
  7. You will receive via the email address that you used to make your purchase, your transaction id & a list of raffle ticket numbers, One number per ticket.
  8. The numbers will sent by 6:00 PM on 11/19/2009.
  9. ScottM (Scott Miller) will receive a list of all the raffle ticket numbers. He will ONLY receive the list of all numbers. He will NOT receive any other info. He will then make individual paper tickets with those numbers.
  10. On Friday November 20th, the actual drawing will take place at a luncheon by Scott or Doug and a non-participant ticket puller.
  11. The first winning ticket will be awarded Lot 1. Additional tickets will be drawn for Lots 2, and so on until the last Lot is awarded. Winners not present will be notified by email or telephone and may arrange prize pickup, pay for shipping or allow the North Carolina Woodworker Pony Express to deliver. If a winner decides they do not want a prize, a new number will be drawn for that prize.
  12. The following persons are not eligible to enter the Raffle: Douglas Robinson, Rob Payne, Scott Smith, Travis Porter, Scott Miller, Stuart Nelson and Tracy Pardue (NCWWI Board of Directors) or employees of any of the businesses making a contribution.
  13. All proceeds will support the NC Woodworker, Inc.
Behind the Scenes (Lead Person):
  1. We need a Paypal page like the one used in the past -- we will need the staff to revive and edit one for us (TracyP).
  2. We need to set up an email address that will forward data to the Treasurer with a full listing of each Paypal transaction with transaction number, name of purchaser, email address, amount purchased, address and phone number (Travis Porter). All info should remain on Travis' computer, not our server and should be backed up.
  3. Someone needs to post CL ads announcing the Raffle after it starts -- it just needs a link to our Raffle Announcement (volunteers?)
  4. We will need a laptop with Internet access at the Greensboro Symposium and the Klingspor Extravaganza for sales (ScottM and Rob Payne [I plan to take my laptop and laser printer to Hickory]). We need to verify connections at each location. If any BoD member has a wireless telcom broadband equipped computer, that may be better (I have a Linksys wireless card in my laptop).
  5. A luncheon for the drawing should be announced by 11/13/09 (Doug Robinson)
  6. Treasurer should send each person a listing of ticket numbers by email, per item 7 above (Travis Porter). Prepare a master list of numbers with the name of each purchaser for use at the drawing.
  7. A bowl with the eligible tickets should be prepared (ScottM)
  8. Drawing occurs at luncheon -- enlist a waitress to do the ticket pulls (Doug Robinson)
  9. Record Ticket numbers and prizes won. If possible, provide name of winner from cross-reference list (any BoD member present)
  10. Contact winners by email.
  11. Count the money....
I cannot guarantee that I can be in the Triangle area for the drawing, but I'll make the effort to be there -- my assignments above are my best guesses at this point.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Add to the raffle we have one extra prize from the calendar contest because Jeremy declined a prize. The "left-over" is a $50.00 gift certifcate to The Woodworking Source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS