Fair Price for these tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoodoo

Roger
Senior User
A friend is selling these tools. I want to offer him a fair price but I haven't the slightest clue as I am used to purchasing items new. I am most interested in the planer but I have no idea the make/model. I have asked him to get me any markings or information from it.
20151228_151803.jpg

20151228_151739_resized_1.jpg

20151228_151717_resized_1.jpg

20151228_151729_resized_1.jpg

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I bought a lot of the same types of tools, even some that were exactly the same, plus a lot of 6 more power tools and a huge stack of cedar for $750. I would offer $300 based on my buying experience. I cant speak for how new the planer is but the craftsman tools I have are going for about $50 -$100 (pristine).

The drill press can be had on ebay or one from Harbor Freight new for as little as $269 then the 20% off coupon. I cant see the brand on this one but its older and used so I assume it wouldnt be worth nearly as much.

Just my 2 cents and I am pretty sure one of those is a Mexican Peso!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
A general rule of thumb is that used tools in good to great working order goes for 1/2 the price as it sold for new. Based on just the pictures (dirty and rust) I would say those tools are in fair condition at best. The bandsaw, drill press and radial arm saw are Craftsman (Sears) brand. I can't tell who made the planer.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
+1 to Grimmy2016. RAS looks incomplete (base missing?) Planer looks like HF or similar Chiwanese make.Sourcing blades and parts could be a problem. Drill press will need a fair amount of cleaning and might also need bearing in drill and motor. Plus chuck would need to be checked for wear and runout. Bandsaw is fairly common and I have never heard great things about them. Unless you get them for a bottom feeder price and like/are able to work on tools I would suggest continuing your search.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought a similar number of older Craftsman tools ten years ago and finally gave away the last of them recently.

I wouldn't give more than $100 for the lot knowing there is much work to do and the tools are fairly limited.

I paid $25 for my drill press which is very close to that one.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I would say $350 for the lot…. $50 for thr RAS, $150 for the planer, $100 for the drill press and $50 for the bandsaw. Thats assuming they all work.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Given the rust and apparent problems of those tools, I agree with Mike that I wouldn't offer more than $100 and come up to $150 if he balks at that. Assuming I really needed all of them, which I don't currently.

The planer looks to me to be an old WoodTek - low end brand at least, possibly HF - but I could be wrong.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Finding parts for Craftsman tool can be difficult. Central Machinery is worse. Craftsman equipment also has problems working with after market accessories. $100 is about right for the whole lot.

Pop

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
You might look up the radial arm saw model number on a consumer safety website. Some were recalled ~10-20yrs ago and the companies paid a bounty on them. Lots of fingers missing from saws that never were very accurate.

DaveD

New User
Dave
I've owned those craftsman tools in the past. All were good tools when taken care of. Having said that, from the looks of things, your friend has abandoned those tools over a long period of time. He obviously doesn't care or has no interest in them.
Assuming they all 'run' I'd pay maximum of $50 for the radial saw, $75 for the bandsaw, $100 for the drill press and $25 for the planer. The planer could be a boat anchor if it needs parts and you can't get them.

The drill press is actually the star of the bunch.May even have a 6" deep quill travel.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have had, and still have about the same craftsman machines, and some not mentioned. I had to replace every motor the first year I was in my shop full time--of course they were already 25 + years old at the time. They are good hobby tools if you do not use them all day every day. I wore the craftsman lathe completely out and now have a PM 3520 with bed extension. I replaced the tires and bearings on the band saw and still using it, but I also bought a bigger bandsaw with 2 hp motor. My radial arm saw is still in use as rough cutting to length-cant see 400.00 + in a sliding miter as long as this one runs. All the craftsman machines were bought in the 70's. I am also still using the belt/disc sander with a replacement motor on it. I gave the drill press and 6" jointer to my son------he pinged the shaft and put new bearings in it and is still using it. I miss the 16 speeds though--------I replaced it with a Steel City floor model DP. At any rate--I think I got my money's worth from mine, but I did buy them new.

Jerry

Rick M

New User
Rick
I've been offered free radial arm saws in better condition than that one. $25

The planer is an unknown. $25-100, no idea whatsoever. Getting blades might be a trick.

Those bandsaws usually list for about $125 but probably sell for a lot less. I know they have a reputation for hard vibration but some people like them; maybe $75 in running condition. $100 if it actually runs smooth.

The drill press is probably fine, many people have old Craftsman DP's. $100

But I'd pressure him to name a price first. If he just wants the stuff gone, he might lowball himself considering you're friends.

rustynail

New User
rusty
Given the rust and apparent problems of those tools, I agree with Mike that I wouldn't offer more than $100 and come up to $150 if he balks at that. Assuming I really needed all of them, which I don't currently.

The planer looks to me to be an old WoodTek - low end brand at least, possibly HF - but I could be wrong.

Plus 1 thay are not worth much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS