Face frame for Cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjahr

New User
John Jahr
I'm going to build cabinets for the garage and am going to paint them white. What type of wood would I use, for the face frame, that would be the most inexpensive.

Thanks John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Poplar, would be your best choice. Pine could also be used but you might have some paint adhesion issues if you have any knots or pitch pockets. If you decide to go with pine seal it with a shellac based primer or shellac itself before painting.
Dave:)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I used cherry for my kitchen cabinets but I don't see why you couldn't use pine or poplar. If you used pine I would suggest a wood conditioner. I have only used hardwood so I bow to the experts as to the best wood for your application. Lorraine

jeeves

New User
dwight
John poplar would be a good choice it is easy to work and paints up nice and much more durable than pine. I use it most of the time. Dwight

nelsone

New User
Ed
I agree. Poplar would probably be your best choice, but for shop cabs, pine will work just fine as well.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I would use poplar if I was going to use a hardwood. Another alternative is to use baltic birch plywood with coarse pocket hole screws and glue. As long as you fill any voids in the plys and sand it well, I think it would look fine. I made a couple of toyboxes out of that plywood, and it was so much easier and quicker than dimensioning solid wood. You can get a 4 x 8 sheet at BORG for around $28. I was amazed how good the last two sheets were that I bought.

Amy

jglord

New User
John
I'd vote for poplar - it will give you nicer results than pine (no problems with pitch and few, if any, knots). With poplar you still need to use course threaded screws, fine thread screws will just strip with the least bit of over torque.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
I'm building cabinets (Upper and lower) for a desk for a friend now that will be painted.
I went with poplar for the face frames and the frame of the raised panel doors.
Ron

rhett

New User
rhett
Pine is an awfully soft wood to use for a face frame. If the cabinets will get much use, over time the hinge plates will loosen. There is extra trouble should you put a heavy door on them i.e.MDF. Poplar is a goto paint grade wood, but the best choice I believe is to use some #2 soft maple. It isn't much more than poplar and will take the abuse of a shop environment.

Last edited:

jjahr

New User
John Jahr
I want to thank you all for the quick replies. Your information from this site is great. I have just about completed my new shop and will be puting up the before and after pictures shortly. Also my first project, router table.

Thank again John

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Why not out of Fir? It used to be used for doors and trim so it should be durable enough. Just saw some posted for $2, which is cheap enough. I'm thinking that might get me started on some cabinets.

Mike
Chapel Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS