F250 in my shop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I'm sitting in the living room yesterday morning and I hear a loud noise out front. Sounded like a freight train coming through the front yard. I look out the front door to see an F250 upside down rolling across the front yard. I run to get my phone (I knew someone was going to be injured) and go outside and don't see the truck anywhere. I walk around the side of the house and there it is in my shop. This is the new section of my shop that I was almost finished with. It wasn't a pretty shop, but it was mine and it was what was on the inside that mattered.

This is what I saw when I came around the corner of the house. The girl driving the truck was just going too fast and lost control. She wasn't wearing her seatbelt and when I got to the truck she was in the back floor between the drivers seat and the back seat. She walked away with a cut on her elbow and a black eye. She was very very lucky.

Does anyone have experience with dealing with someone elses insurance on something like this? With the impact the building took I believe that shop should be replaced. I'm not willing to take a chance on structural damage. Thoughts? Suggestions?

IMG_35531.JPG

IMG_35594.JPG

IMG_35582.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Mike,

I'm very sorry to hear about the damage to your shop... I know I'd be very unhappy if someone drove through my shop one fine day! I'm glad you were not in the shop at the time of the accident.

I don't have any real advice dealing with this sort of an accident with regards to insurance, but I would suggest speaking to an attorney before you sign a single piece of paper with the other party's insurance carrier. One of the first things they're going to try is to get you to sign away your right to an attorney and/or limit you to arbitration in exchange for a "quick settlement", so be careful unless you are certain their settlement amount will cover every bit of your losses. And make sure that any damaged equipment is reimbursed for its full replacement value, not according to some depreciation schedule... after all you would have probably continued using those same tools up until the day you die and not according to someone else's notion of their worth.

I'm very grateful to hear the other driver was able to walk away from this accident, she was exceedingly lucky she was not thrown from the vehicle with the shop collapsed on top of her. I will never understand the selfishness of drivers who refuse to wear their seatbelt. Every single day I read of at least 2 or 3 people in our local paper who died from mortal injuries received in a 100% survivable accident if only a seatbelt had been used! I can understand the thrill and fascination with flying, but not when it includes a non-stop flight straight through a windshield. :eek:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would contact the local building inspector to see if they deem it is fixable. Then I would be contacting a couple builders/remodel companies for estimates.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Very glad no one was seriously injured. I see you got pictures of the damage that is good. Take an inventory (with pictures) of everything (down to sandpaper and pencils) damaged or destroyed. You'll need to get estimates from LICENSED general contractors as well for repairs/replacement. Then figure out what full replacement value of these items are. If she hasn't already given it to you. Get her car insurance information and contact them to inform them of the situation. I would concur with Ethan to consult with counsel before signing anything with her car insurance company. This isn't a simple case of your planter being taken out or your rear bumper dinged.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I would contact the local building inspector to see if they deem it is fixable. Then I would be contacting a couple builders/remodel companies for estimates.

The gray part of the building was built about 20 years ago and I'm sure not to code. If it isn't up to code would they require it to be rebuilt?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

Get estimates for both repair and replacement -- sometimes it costs more to fix than to start over and that can be a negotiating point with the insurance carrier.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
The gray part of the building was built about 20 years ago and I'm sure not to code. If it isn't up to code would they require it to be rebuilt?

You would really have to ask your local inspector. A lot of it may depend upon the extent of the repairs needed as a percentage of the total structure. Obviously if you end up rebuilding from scratch then everything would have to be brought up to Code, and that extra would likely come out of your pocket (because it's an upgrade cost rather than an outright replacement) unless your Homeowners is willing to help make up the difference.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Get estimates for both repair and replacement -- sometimes it costs more to fix than to start over and that can be a negotiating point with the insurance carrier.

The building is 12' x 28' and I've looked at prebuilt buildings that will cost between $5-6000. I also have to include the cost of running electrical in the whole building.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
One more thing keep track of your time, missed work hours and mileage related to this. It is a pain, but if you get into a settlement situation it could very well mean a few extra dollars to make up for what they didn't give you for something else.

bluchz

bluchz
User
Glad no one was seriously hurt. Don't forget pain and suffering, :rolleyes:your wife will have to see more of you now that you can't go to the shop (my wife pointed this out when I showed her the pictures.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
man.... that sucks! Quick, run go tip that ugly 14" bandsaw over! :gar-La; I'm sure it's worth a lot more now....:wink_smil

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Mike, I deal with insurance every day. I may have some advice to offer, but not in a public forum. Feel free to pm or email me.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
In addition to all the good advice regarding inventory and pictures, you may just want to route this through YOUR homeowners insurance. Let your insurance company go after the driver's insurance. (Your company certainly does not want to pay for this claim. As such, they are motivated to take care of it.)

Good luck! Make them fix it right!

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

In my way of thinking if they require it rebuilt to code then insurance would cover that. I am thinking if the inspector finds the structure unsafe you should have a leg to stand on to claim a total loss and make the insurance replace it all with new.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
When I was involved in a wreck, I was not at fault, but I had a great deal of trouble getting the other party's insurance company to pay up. I would contact the insurance company and start finding out what they intend to do about your damages. Did you get an accident report? It helps if the police have written up someone as being at fault.

Roy G

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Advice from a claims adjuster:
1. Get the local building inspector involved, as they have the final say-so in structural matters.
2. Document. Document. Document. Did I say document. I meant to say document. Photos. Police reports.
3. Get a replacement estimate from at least 2 sources. And if you go pre-built, one from them also.
4. I don't agree with getting an attorney involved first. Give the insurance companies a chance to step up and do what's right. And if that does not work out, seek professional help
from an attorney. But remember; part of the settlement that should go into your pocket will go the the attorney as part of his fee.
5. Don't forget to document.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I took a bunch of pictures while the truck was still in my building. I've taken pictures from just about every angle I possibly could. the state trooper did not actually give me a copy of the accident report but I'm sure that I can pull it up online. What is the best way to get in touch with a building inspector?

Sent from my Droid on Tapatalk 2

MikeH

New User
Mike
Can I go ahead and start cleaning up or do I need to leave everything the way it was after the accident???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors