F + W Media

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
F + W Media which has been having financial problems just declared Chapter 11 bancruptcy. They publish Popular Woodworking and Woodworking. It remains to be seen if some other publisher will buy these mags or if F + W will successfully reorganize. or . . . . I'm glad I didn't renew Pop WW!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris Schwarz posted a really good blog about what brought then down. He has a unique perspective of what it going on in the publishing business. Check his blog at Lost Art Press for more information.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Chris Schwarz posted a really good blog about what brought then down. He has a unique perspective of what it going on in the publishing business. Check his blog at Lost Art Press for more information.

Quote from the blog " The deck was always stacked against them because most of the revenue they brought in went right to the banks to pay the debt service. " and this pretty much sums up why the majority of companies have filed BK recently. Amazon isn't the business killer, it's the equity firms that buy and then leverage the companies to the hilt until they collapse.

photostu

New User
Stuart
I was contemplating getting the annual Fine Woodworking subscription, are they related to this?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Thanks for that post. I subscibed to PWW a few months ago and have only received a couple of thin issues so far. Guess I won't be seeing any more. Chris Schwarz's blog on F+W succinctly described the death of the software company where I worked for 16 years, from startup to dissolution. The only thing I'd add is that venture capitalists are even worse than he described.

Anyway, I'll miss the magazine, but not a lot given the issues I did receive.

bbrown

Bill
User
I just did an interview with Popular Woodworking......https://www.popularwoodworking.com/interviews/new-woodworking-school-opening-in-maine/

I enquired with the publisher about placing an ad for my new woodworking school and asked about the rumours that they were not doing well. The answer I got was that Pop Wood was "doing great' and there was no concern about going under". The guy shared circulation numbers and everything and it looked like they were very strong. I did spend the money for an ad and sort of wondered if that was wasted money as it was not cheap.
Wonder if they were acquired by another company?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS