Extravaganza Prep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
attachment.php

28 Birdhouse kits ready for #Klingspor's #Extravaganza!

Attachments

• IMG_0927.jpg
    IMG_0927.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0927.jpg
    IMG_0927.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 285

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have 1000 #6x1-1/2" screws to go with them. It takes 20 per box, so that's enough for 50 birdhouses.

I also bought another 10 20' pieces of PEX yesterday, just need to cut it into 20" lengths. That will be another 120 pieces for light sabers.

Will get the supplies that I have to Barry on the 15th so he can put them in the trailer and they won't be forgotten.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I stopped in to Harbor Freight today and they only had one of the cases of flashlights in. I'll continue to check as they have promised me 3 cases! Also Ken, they gave me a form E-595E Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement Certificate of Exemption. She said if I get that filled out, then they won't charge the tax. I'll send it to your personal email.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Wow! I very much appreciate how we are becoming so organized and professional. It appears that we will be prepared for the Extravaganza and ready to impress. :gar-Bi

Jeff

New User
Jeff
attachment.php

28 Birdhouse kits ready for #Klingspor's #Extravaganza!

Good job folks. Are these species specific, like bluebirds, etc or generic for any old trash bird? It'd be helpful to give the folks a take home sheet with their new box...Location and care for your bluebird house, etc.

https://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/features-of-a-good-birdhouse/

https://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/?__hstc=75100365.3c3ac81684f7243475a591c47e16293e.1506779731374.1506779731374.1506779731374.1&__hssc=75100365.1.1506779731374&__hsfp=1916184901

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am almost ready to do a how to make flowers out of plane curls workshop/demo

Of course we need lots of curls and the last time we did this I was amazed how many people had never seen a sharp plane work so well

It was fun to watch their excitement as they tried a sharp plane for the first time

I spent a fair amount of time showing folks how to sharpen and adjust the planes.

I will bring various planes for the folks to try - all very sharp

This one is a kit plane from Ron Hock - easy to adjust and works well
attachment.php

This is a no name from Denmark - just tuned and sharpened, now it works
attachment.php

Here is a #5 Bailey with a RH blade upgrade - works much better since the upgrade
attachment.php

Just arrived yesterday - So nice (I can write this off for education, right?)
attachment.php

Maybe I should borrow a Clifton from Coleman to also show something Klingspor sells - hint

Attachments

• IMG_2783.JPG
    IMG_2783.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2784.JPG
    IMG_2784.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2785.JPG
    IMG_2785.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Having helped several kids build these birdhouses, I and I'm sure they don't care what kind of birds are housed by them. This is a project that when complete I always tell them "you just built a birdhouse". That always generates a smile and something they show proudly to their parents. This is not about making bird habitat, but about giving kids a sense of accomplishment. We are about woodworking education and not about bird conservation. If the two coincide then all the better, but is it not our goal.

Some of the kids that build these are excited to take them home and paint them - not the thing to do for a Bluebird house, but very much a thing to do to get them involved in a wood working project. That is our goal. We are not really trying to support the blue birds but to support woodworking education. Any inroad into that goal is important to us.

This discussion of whether we are making correct Blue Bird houses is getting way off track from our goals. That should be a separate discussion.

Sorry if I'm offending the Blue Bird contingent, but there habitat is not one of our goals as important as it is, we have to choose our goals.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Ken is right. These are generic bird houses for kids to build. They quickly learn how to measure and mark for pre drilling, and then driving screws. I downloaded the plans from Lowe's.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Ken we are not trying to steer them in any direction. I just feel they should know the facts. There are a couple things they need to know if they want it to be used by the feathery friends. Good use of there minds in making that decision. We have done our goal of getting them a feel of using tools properly and safely. After that they can do what ever as long as we have given them there options

Jeff

New User
Jeff
This discussion of whether we are making correct Blue Bird houses is getting way off track from our goals. That should be a separate discussion.

Au contraire, Ken et. al. I agree with the primary goal that you've clearly stated but some level of "bird" knowledge would be easy to incorporate in that goal even if the kids and parents don't give a squat about birds per se. Oh well, "it's just a box that I've made with no useful end-point that I can tell". Well, why did you build a birdhouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS