Exterior highly durable finish???

Temp626

New User
Tom
I am building a 1"x24"x36" sign out of maple. It is going to be an outdoor hanging sign (in upstate NY) that is engraved on both sides. I realize maple is not a great choice for exterior, but that's what the customer wanted. It will have a sort of "roof" structure in an attempt to protect from some of the snow and rain precipitation. Temperatures are often in single digits or colder for many weeks in the winter also. What would be a few of the options for clear finishes in that extreme north country weather. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Try McCloskey Man O'War, I refinished my mom's door before we sold the house, it looked great and I see its holding up good when I drive past the house. I found it by accident at a local boat store.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Clear won't hold up like a house paint but if I needed a long lasting clear finish like that I would either use a marine varnish or an automotive clear coat. With spar varnish, test some first to see how amber or clear it is to your satisfaction. I think the best marine type would be Bristol finish which I used on a boat before. If you want to go with an automotive finish look at Autobody Toolmart catalog. I have ordered quite a bit from them.

Temp626

New User
Tom
Clear won't hold up like a house paint but if I needed a long lasting clear finish like that I would either use a marine varnish or an automotive clear coat. With spar varnish, test some first to see how amber or clear it is to your satisfaction. I think the best marine type would be Bristol finish which I used on a boat before. If you want to go with an automotive finish look at Autobody Toolmart catalog. I have ordered quite a bit from them.
Thank you

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
There was an article in FHB several years ago about a clear exterior finish that used untainted deep base paint:

It’s paid content, but the link provides the details for the magazine issue (Feb/Mar 2016).

TBoomz

New User
Ron
Exterior highly durable finish??? Iron oxide red paint.

Clear? Nonexistent.
Well, if he wants [red] then just soak it in cow blood. The local slaughter house probably has barrels of that stuff
just waiting for an enterprising woodworker. If it was good enuff for our ancestors...
O'course if he's a deer hunter,..another [part] of the deer, not gone to waste..

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Actually ***Trivia alert*** rusty nails and milk pickling will produce barn yard red. That is how they did it way back when .......

The east west uv rated resin works very well ....... that is what you get at a boat supply place as well.

Or Like someone else said if you want to go high end then use the clear coat poly urethane auto finish. That will work well, but be advised, you will need a sealer on the wood 1st to make sure it does not chip or flake off.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have recently heard of a clear paint. Untinted paint. The guy used it as a clear finish on his intarsia. Did not tint the wood at all.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Clear paint is clear acrylic or if I remember correctly gesso is what artists call it . IR will not be clear like glass

I have recently heard of a clear paint. Untinted paint. The guy used it as a clear finish on his intarsia. Did not tint the wood at all.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS