Exterior finish for long term protection

danceswithwindows

danceswithwindows
Corporate Member
I am looking to do quite a bit of wood screening in my backyard. I was initially thinking cedar, but its out of my budget. Cypress was next on my list and seems to be more in my price range, with what appears to be only a moderate reduction in longevity.

I am looking to buy a high end preferably clear sealant that will give me as long a life as possible on this stuff. Seems like there are tons of options of varying quality. I'm not looking to let it gray over time, as that doesn't really fit the aesthetic we are going for. The screening will be horizontal, kind of like what you see in the attached picture.

Which sealants have you all had the best experiences with in the past in terms of longevity and maintaining that
"unweathered" color?

1672416962335.png

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have had good results with General Finishes Exterior 450. I have used it on exterior doors and have not had to refinish in over five years.
Curious Rob, as Im a huge fan of General Finishes, is this a spar urethane and cost? Application methods? I use their Hiperf urethane all the time for interior as well as ArmRSeal, depending on application. Any insights appreciated! Thanks

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I just put in a new solid Sapele front door and finished it with 4 coats of Total Boat Gleam Gloss and then 2 coats of Satin. I can't speak to the longevity of it since it's only been about 3 months, but I'm very satisfied with the result so far. It's a marine spar varnish so I'm hopeful it will last 2 years before I need to put another coat on.

danceswithwindows

danceswithwindows
Corporate Member
Did some test panels on Cypress 1x8's ripped to 2.25" The light tone is Total Boat Halcyon Water-Based Marine Varnish (3 coats). The darker tone is the Sikkens Cetol Marine (1 Coat). Both of them look pretty good, but the darker tone is probably better suited to the house. Might even need to go darker.

My problem is now that I have added up the square footage, the Cypress is looking insanely expensive. About $5,700 worth. I had the lumber yard price out the same amount of pressure treated, and it came to $1,860. So I might need to be sensible and go with pressure treated, though it pains me to do so. I put the sikkens on to the pressure treated and it looks ok (second image, still drying), still have bleed thru of the green PT chemicals but I might have to live with it. I doubt the Sikkens was really made to work in this application. Thinking I may need to find a PT specific stain for this to work.

Interested in you all's thoughts, especially on what you would do in terms of finish. Opinions on fastening the siding is appreciated too. Right now I am planning 14 or 16 GA nails.

Attachments

• IMG_8856.JPG
    IMG_8856.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8875.jpg
    IMG_8875.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 75

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I'm surprised Cypress is 4x PT cost. How much lumber are you talking? Did you let the PT lumber dry out? I think it needs several weeks before you should finish it. In terms of finish, the Total Boat water based is going to be more clear whereas the Sikkens will give a darker look. Both options are solid, just personal preference.

danceswithwindows

danceswithwindows
Corporate Member
I'm surprised Cypress is 4x PT cost. How much lumber are you talking? Did you let the PT lumber dry out? I think it needs several weeks before you should finish it. In terms of finish, the Total Boat water based is going to be more clear whereas the Sikkens will give a darker look. Both options are solid, just personal preference.
The PT was rated KDAT (Kiln Dried After Treatment) so it should be ok. See attached this is the quote. Works out to be the same volume of material.

1675261357360.png

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Did some test panels on Cypress 1x8's ripped to 2.25" The light tone is Total Boat Halcyon Water-Based Marine Varnish (3 coats). The darker tone is the Sikkens Cetol Marine (1 Coat). Both of them look pretty good, but the darker tone is probably better suited to the house. Might even need to go darker.

My problem is now that I have added up the square footage, the Cypress is looking insanely expensive. About $5,700 worth. I had the lumber yard price out the same amount of pressure treated, and it came to $1,860. So I might need to be sensible and go with pressure treated, though it pains me to do so. I put the sikkens on to the pressure treated and it looks ok (second image, still drying), still have bleed thru of the green PT chemicals but I might have to live with it. I doubt the Sikkens was really made to work in this application. Thinking I may need to find a PT specific stain for this to work.

Interested in you all's thoughts, especially on what you would do in terms of finish. Opinions on fastening the siding is appreciated too. Right now I am planning 14 or 16 GA nails.
IMHO, go with PT and use a solid stain to match the upper deck post and house color. I’m sure you know this but you have to let PT weather for a minimum of 6 months before you apply the stain. My brother is a professional painter and swears by sikkens but he thinks Cabot is a decent product too.

danceswithwindows

danceswithwindows
Corporate Member
IMHO, go with PT and use a solid stain to match the upper deck post and house color. I’m sure you know this but you have to let PT weather for a minimum of 6 months before you apply the stain. My brother is a professional painter and swears by sikkens but he thinks Cabot is a decent product too.
The Sikkens product is really nice looking stuff and looked awesome on the Cypress. Couldnt find anywhere in their literature that is specifically says it is ok to use on PT, but it probably is? Anyway, thanks for your input!

waitup

New User
Matt
I would check some other sources for Cypress. I got some from Jack Murdock a while back and paid less than $3/bd. ft. That works out to less than 1/3rd of your cypress cost.

Edit: Even the Hardwood Store at $6/bd. ft. works out to half your price.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Years ago, we built a Lindal Cedar home with Western Cedar siding. I used WeatherMaster stain, a translucent stain, and after a couple of years had to restrain every year. WeatherMaster fell off the market (for me). I started using some SW translucent stain for a few years and gradually moved to a custom colored solid stain that had better weather resistance than the translucent stains. Didn't know about Sikkens or Cabot. YMMV, obviously. My take away is to use an opaque stain.

danceswithwindows

danceswithwindows
Corporate Member
I would check some other sources for Cypress. I got some from Jack Murdock a while back and paid less than $3/bd. ft. That works out to less than 1/3rd of your cypress cost.

Edit: Even the Hardwood Store at $6/bd. ft. works out to half your price.
Matt - thanks for the great suggestion. I just talked with the Hardwood store and they will get me Cypress S3S for about $6.40 / bd ft. I think I am going to go that route! And $59 delivery to Raleigh! Thanks for the suggestion.

Howie

New User
Howie
In materials on CL lots of sources/lumber...a sawmill search will have alot of options already sawn lumber and portable sawers in N.C..

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors