Exterior door (Mahogany) finish recommendations

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Afternoon folks - I've been inactive for quite awhile, but lurking from time to time!

A bit of my inactivity is due to my current project - building my personal home in Sanford, while managing the engineering firm in Raleigh as well - certainly not a lot of sleep these days!

My current question for the group deals w/ best finish options for my new exterior door, (which needs to be set this week/ early next to keep my siding guys moving.

We have purchased a solid mahogany 8' tall, 6' wide double door w/ glass inserts, and mahogany frame. High maintenance compared to fiberglass/ steel for sure, but the woodworker in me won out. The front door has a due West exposure, but is protected by a 10' deep porch in the front which keeps it well out of the rain, and shaded from the sun until about 4:30 or so in the summer, so I've done what I can there.

My memory/ previous reads on the topic of exterior door finishes have me leaning toward the Sikkens 123 finish/ sealer - does anyone have a better idea/ suggestion?

My next, (and likely more immediate) concern is the frame itself - I'll likely hold off on installing the door slabs until down the road, (to avoid damage from the trades coming/ going). The frame is also solid/ raw mahogany - I'm thinking it is likely best to seal all 6 sides before installation - agree/ disagree?

Thanks!

HMH

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have used Sikkens Cetol Door and Window Clear numerous times and the doors still look great. I would very highly recommend it

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
I built a mahogany (African) front door for my house four years ago. This door is on the south face of my house with a 2' overhang. I also have a full storm door with this door which keeps any rain exposure minimal. This means that it does get a good bit of sun exposure. I finished the door with six coats of General Finishes Exterior 450 (satin). This has held up extremely well with no additional attention or maintenance required from me. I am very satisfied with the finish and will use it again when that time comes.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Thanks guys! Phil, (hello again by the way!) you mentioned the "clear" - in your experience does/ would that allow the door to darken naturally w/ age, or should I plan on a stain coat, (Sikkens Cetol 123 is a 1 coat stain sealer, followed by 2 coats of the 23 sealer as I understand it).

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Heath, My experience is the UV blocking in the finish appear to be keeping the color from changing. If you want a deeper color, I would suggest a dye stain

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I followed Phil’s advice and used sikkens cetol door and window on my mahogany door last year. It looks great and like your door only gets minimal sun and no rain exposure so it should hold up well.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I use Sikkens Cetol Door and Window and I prefer the Dark Oak color which builds great color depth on oak or mahogany. These are mahogany.

djvanduy

New User
Jason
Once upon a time I used to make high end door and window units for several years. The most critical thing for the finish is the sun and rain exposure so it looks like you got that covered. Compliments on that, I can't tell you how many expensive units I made that were absolutely tortured because they were full southern exposure and no overhang, see the pic. At the time I think we were using some ML campbell products from wurth wood group. I believe mostly two part pre cat finishes and conversion varnishes. Those are good finishes but in many cases they ultimately failed in those high exposure conditions.

Those finishes are also finicky. I don't have any experience with the Sikkens products, but it sounds like they would do well. I suspect in your conditions there are a few finishes that would hold up well.

JVD
www.vanduynwoodwork.com
IMG_1198.JPG

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS