extending glue setup time

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have a rather complicated build: Table, two sets of stretchers, 24 spindles. It all has to go together at once.

So, I was wondering what the smart way to extend open time for various glues would be. My choice would be PVA, but it seems a little quick. Can I just add another 10% or so water? Is there some longer open time PVA?

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Might be a good opportunity to try Titebond Extend:

Johnathon

J Flip
User
You probably know but, titebond 3 has a better open time than the others. May still not be enough for that many parts though.

GBB_Chart2.png

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
I have used epoxy on builds with lots of components that require assembly at the same time. The pva glues have recommendations on dilution and 10% seems high.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
In the past when I have had a complicated glue up, I, like Cuthriell, have used epoxy. It has a very long open time and gives me the cushion of not rushing and making a mistake.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Might be a good opportunity to try Titebond Extend:

I recently used the Titebond Extend to glue up 12 laminations that then had to be clamped into a compound curve buck. It did exactly what it is supposed to do--gave me times to spread the glue on 22 surfaces, stack them, then apply 11 clamps all along the curves. It is basically slow drying Titebond II, which means water resistant. As long as the piece will reside indoors, you'll do fine. Make sure you wait 24 hours before removing clamps.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Excellent report, Wiley. I've been hesitant to try that 'Extend' type figuring that it might be just so much more print hype. Thanks.
That may be the next item on my shopping list at Woodcraft (Since for me, visiting Coleman would be a bit of a drive).

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Agree, OBG or titebond hide glue is perfect for this sort of thing and it's transparent to finishes so you don't have to worry about catching every last bit of squeeze out.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I've always used hide glue on complicated assemblies. Works great.

Red

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Do the spindles need to be glued?

Epoxy would be my choice.

Surprised about hide glue responses. IMO experience hide glue sets up quicker than you expect. Hot hide glue definitely. But even OBG.

Very limited experience with TB hide glue, but didn't like it much can't remember why.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I was hoping for something more like an hour. There are 20 pieces that all have to go together and be square at once.

I have some resin glue, but I think it sets pretty quickly too. I'll go test in the morning.

Oh, I found a reference for Titebong liquid hide. It is more like it.
Do the spindles need to be glued?

Epoxy would be my choice.

Surprised about hide glue responses. IMO experience hide glue sets up quicker than you expect. Hot hide glue definitely. But even OBG.

Very limited experience with TB hide glue, but didn't like it much can't remember why.
I have been thinking of that. Probably not and it would greatly simplify. They would add some strength against racking if glued though.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Scott, you could glue up the main units and leave the spindles unglued. After it's all assembled and clamped you could go back and put some thin CA glue around the spindles.

Roy G

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Hide glue is the winner, you can add salt to it and you'll have an hour to mess with it and if not, you can always take it apart and start over. This advice is for mixing your own hot glue from flakes. I don't know about extending the pre-mixed HG.

Scott H

Scott
User
The main advice I learned the hard way with using hide glue for long glue ups is it is much more solid/gel like than normal yellow glue. So for example, if you are gluing a tenon in a mortise, when it's 1/4 or 1/8" from being seated, get the squeeze out out of the way of the tenon shoulders, or else it might stop the joint from seating fully. Had this happen on one of my workbench legs.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
People have noted the gelling of liquid hide glue during long glue-ups... This is highly dependent on temperature and the glue in my experience. OBG in a 60 degree basement is going to gel. Outside in NC right now you'll have no problem keeping it liquid throughout a glueup. Titebond liquid hide glue stays liquid down to like 50F. I believe the gel temp has to do with the amount of urea added to the glue. I've started using Titebond over OBG because my basement here in Buffalo gets cold over the winter.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors